Got In A Fistfight With Buzzards Today

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Now, that's a catchy headline, no?

A large group, up to 21, but usually smaller, of buzzards often hang around when I feed the ferals, and steal some of their food. One or two, I don't mind, and the cats eat beside them, but this many really annoyed me tonight. I carry water in a 2-liter Coke bottle for the cats. I found that flinging water at the buzzards really scared them, and kept them away longer than just scolding them (the security camera footage for that parking lot must be a real gem to watch). I didn't hurt the buzzards, nor would I, but it got them away so the cats could eat.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have GOT to get that security cam footage - - - have a feeling the footage of you would make all of our days (although I'm also sure it's probably got a bit of NSFW language!).

I like the 2 liter idea - - wonder if it'd work on raccoons? Our raccoons have gotten so bold that last night it was "Standoff at the OK Corral." We have a Rubbermade feeding station set up 24-7 just outside of our detached garage (which is where the 4 TNR ferals who call our house home live). It has a bowl of hard cat food that we always take up at night - although coons just get smarter and smarter. They now back up their dinner time as we back up the "taking in of the food time." We also feed the 4 kitty sweeties in the garage - - so that's where their four bowls of soft food reside that we feed them morning and early evening in (bowls are picked up about half hour after we feed them) and their small bowl of hard kitty food (it stays from morning feeding until we feed them early evening). We purposefully place all the food bowls as close to the cat exit as possible. So - to last night's standoff.....

I went out around 7:30 (about an hour later than normal, so all four kitties were already at our back step waiting - two with their little noses pressed against the glass storm door (SO stinking cute!). I carry all of 4 clean bowls, 2 cans of soft food, a small cup of hard food, a tiny can of Sheba as a treat, a flashlight, and a large pitcher of water to refill their bowl (the coons get it so filthy!). I started to set everything on the large pad we have in the garage ( so the kitties can stand and eat and their feet don't get so cold on the concrete garage floor.). All four cats trotted in after me. Then I turn around and see the cats backing up slowly out of the garage (you'd think by now I'd know something was up - but no sir - not me!). So I'm chatting with them, reassuring them to come in and eat, and as I set the first bowl down, I set it about 6 inches from the WORLD'S LARGEST RACCOON (I swear he was the size of a small bus. Or Shaquille O'Neal. Whichever is bigger). I wish I could say I did something smart -----but instead I squealed like a little girl, jumped backward, and of course dropped the pitcher of water AND the cup of hard food AND the two opened cans of soft food!!!!! (I'm sure my language was also NSFW). 90% of everything I dropped hit the giant coon!! At this point, I'm sure I'm next on the menu for the coon's dinner. But instead, the coon, now soaked in water and covered in splatters of soft cat food, to which some of the dry cat food stuck, barely seemed to notice the avalanche of food that he was now covered in - nor did he seem to give me a second look. The cats ran when I dropped everything, and I slowly backed out of the garage. So - Raccoons 1, me and the kitties, 0.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big boar raccoons can weigh 70 pounds! Sounds like you met the granddaddy of them all. I'm sure he appreciated having his dinner delivered right on top of him ;).

I swear the starlings could eat as much cat food as I would put out. I think I'm responsible for several generations of starlings growing up Cat Chow Strong. Maybe they'll want to put that in a commercial. . .

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy Cat Chow Strong made me do a spit-take with my coffee! We've grown a generation of Cat Chow Strong starlings too :)

I wish I could say the coon was 70 pounds - I'd feel less wussy. But I'm guessing he was more like 20 pounds. Which makes me REALLY pathetic. I like your 70 pound version better. :running:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should go electric. A couple of jolts would get you some respect.
Rechargeable Livestock Farm Cattle Pig Prod Electric Shock Stock Prodder 220V | eBay
There are a lot of different models. Most likely would work on Buzzards as well as ground based things. They are designed to be uncomfortable but not harmful. You don't want to hurt your livestock, just motivate them.
That one uses 220V to charge it. One like this might be better. Says its for smaller animals because it has a lower voltage shock.
Parker McCroy S29 Master Stock 29" Cattle Prod | eBay

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There used to be a vendor who made bird proof cat feeders, but he stopped selling them recently. Basically, if you take a tupperware bin, cut a round hole in it for the cat to comfortably stick his head through, and put a bowl of his food inside of the tupperware, the birds can't figure out to get inside to eat the cat food. Not even the very crafty starlings. I've posted a picture of my bird proof pet feeder in the past and can retrieve it later if someone needs to see a picture of it.