Goodbye Dear Princess

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had been posting in cat health and receiving so much support there, but i’m sad to say we had to make the heartbreaking decision to put Princess (Pcess, P) to sleep last night.

She had comorbid HCM and thyperthyroid, along with liver inflammation and pancreatitis. 11/10 we had a feeding tube placed as she had stopped eating. Unfortunately she started having very labored breathing and difficulty standing and walking. We managed to get 3 tube feedings in but she worsened.

Brought her to the emergency clinic once and euthanasia was suggested but we thought we would try to take her home and let her pass at home if it was her time. We did but it was too hard to watch her continue to suffer and struggle to breathe.

So we brought her back and made the hardest decision of our lives. We went into the comfort room I had noticed on our many visits but never thought we would be occupying, at least not so soon. My husband and I cried and cried. We asked ourselves if we were doing the right thing. We saw it in P’s eyes - she was in pain, and already gone, in a way.

Just yesterday morning she’s had jumped up onto the corner of my bed next to my pillow to be my little spoon. I didn’t realize it would be our last cuddle in that spot.

The doctor talked to us in an exam room before the comfort room and reassured us this was the best decision considering her situation, age, and multiple diseases she was facing. On their own they can be managed or treated, but perhaps together, her body is simply failing.

Before the doctor came in we held her on our laps, told her how much she meant to us. I thanked her for ever moment we had together. As the medicine went in I told her “no more pain I love you forever” over and over until the doctor said she has passed away.

The wave of grief has surprised me, even though I’ve known this Day was coming and have dreaded it. Not so soon! One more day, one more test, one more treatment. But no more. It was P’s time, and she was ready. And she suffers no more.

Our bed is empty and our apartment is filled with reminders of her life with us, even in our other cat, Max - who has no idea. I will so miss P’s chirps and meows, our morning snuggles, how she would lay on books like she was about to read them. I got her when I was basically a child - 18. And now at 33, I had to say goodbye. P faced so much life with me. Two marriages, a divorce, 5 apartments, multiple jobs. She was there by my side when I was too sad to pick myself up off the bathroom floor.

Now she goes across the Rainbow Bridge to meet Frodo, who passed in 2014. They were two kittens I adopted together in 2003. In their younger years they loved cuddling with each other. I like to think of them as reunited once more.

Now that the worst has happened, i’m Praying that the healing can finally begin. I love you P - Pcess, Princess, the sweetest angel girl there ever was. Rest In Peace.

2003-2018

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry!!
Do you have something of hers that you can give to Max? Also, play some classical harp music, it will help him and you.

RIP sweetheart, you gave it the good fight and now you are in a place where the sun always shines and it is always peaceful :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the words of comfort. Right now it feels like the pain will never go away. It hurts so badly. I see her everywhere in my mind. I keep second guessing our decision but my husband and I both knew it was the only merciful thing to do.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Princess, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is what I know. Love never dies, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. Love abides, and Princess is with you still. You have done the most unselfish thing we ever do for our beloved pets, you helped Princess to shrug off her heavy coat of flesh and fur when it could no longer support her loving heart and giving spirit. Now, she dances on sunlight in a place where eternity is but a moment until, in the fullness of time, you join her in that joyous Dance.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hardest gift to give is the greatest one we can give. Her love surrounds you guiding you through this the most difficult of times.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to read this. What a beautiful tribute to your kitty. It sounds like she was a wonderful companion to you, and you clearly loved her so much, too.

You made the most loving, compassionate decision you could for her. :hugs: RIP, little Princess.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read this but she had a wonderful life with you, and yes it is always hard when we have to "play God" but you did the right thing, her quality of life was very bad, but it is so very hard to have to let them go but she is glad to be out of her pain riddled body and is just fine now, and you will see her again someday and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful story!
You sound like a very caring couple, Princess couldn't have asked for more. She got the most of love and the best attentions and cares till the end.
And for this she will be thankful forever.

RIP Princess, the world will miss you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There comes a time when living becomes existing, when there is no more joy in life, only pain and suffering. You knew in your heart that Princess was at that point. It is too hard to watch them struggle, there is no way to prepare your heart for the unimaginable. Somehow you reached deep into the recesses of your soul, and found the strength to bring her peace, to let her go....and she is grateful.
The bond you built over those years will help to comfort your broken heart. She will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers. Although she now follows another path, that path will forever parallel your own, she will be eternally near.
You know in your heart she would never want to bring such pain into the lives of those she loved so much. She wants you to find joy in life again, to love again, because that is what love is, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. Try not to dwell on her end, it changes nothing and only brings heartache. Concentrate instead on her precious life, how much happiness she brought to it, how she filled it with joy and laughter. Let these thoughts bring you comfort, as time dulls the sharp edges of grief and distances you from the pain that grips your heart at the moment. She was in your life for a reason, not to bring you pain, but to love you and to to show you how to help that love grow, to share it's beauty with others, and to show you what love truly is.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, I know how much this hurts. Take one day at a time, ti takes so long to heal a broken heart.....RIP precious Princess. You will be dearly missed, you will be eternally held in loving hearts. May the good Lord welcome you with open arms and a warm lap, goodnight, sleep tight, little Princess!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Di and Bob - I have read your reply over & over again and your words are more comforting than you could possibly know.

It has been so hard for my husband and me. He was the primary caretaker, even though Princess was "my cat" for 9 years before we *both* met our Prince Charming. He has been "lost" not having to keep track of her medicines (daily injections and pills), force feed her, worry about where she is and how she's feeling. When your cat has a chronic illness and they're suddenly gone, it is a very unmooring feeling. Part of it is relief, and the other part sadness, and another is "what do I do next?"

I will shout from the rooftops the book that helped me in 2014 when we lost Frodo: Soul Comfort for Cat Lovers: Coping wisdom for heart and soul after the loss of a beloved feline by Liz Eastwood. Every cat lover should have this book in their arsenal.

I also recommend visiting the blog "The Conscious Cat." <3

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has been "lost" not having to keep track of her medicines (daily injections and pills), force feed her, worry about where she is and how she's feeling. When your cat has a chronic illness and they're suddenly gone, it is a very unmooring feeling. Part of it is relief, and the other part sadness, and another is "what do I do next?"
This is exactly how I was feeling after the death of each of my both cats, who in the last weeks of their life needed certain timed therapies, and I had a log where I would write down what med I had given them and at what time, just to make sure that nothing was left behind or missed. Also I would keep trace of the amount of food given, the amount of water they would drink.
And when all was over I felt like "what do I do now?".

People like you, like me, and like many others here on TCS that have gone through hospicing a sick cat, we all share the same feeling of emptiness.
I think it is good, it's the measure of how much of ourselves we devoted and gave to our furry friends, the measure of how much our pets were part of us.
The bigger the hole they leave, the more important they were in our life.

I think we must feel proud of this huge hole in our existence, it makes us noble.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your recommendations, it always helps to have one more way to bring comfort to a broken heart. I consulted a Pet 'Minister' and the 'letter' she wrote from my beloved Chrissy is more comforting then I would have ever imagined, I still read it 6 years later......