Good Old Nhs

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our national health service has many critics but it has just saved my dad's life. He's 92.
He's been getting very breathless with only slight exertion and just feeling very ill so I took his stats. His pulse was 33 bpm so I phoned the doc who came out and after an examination called an ambulance.
I felt he was on his way out whilst all this is going on but the next day he had been fitted with a pacemaker. This was yesterday afternoon so I visited him in the evening. He was having a reaction to the sedative and although we can laugh now, it was weird at the time. He didn't know where he was and asked if I was, "The big cheese." He then said stuff like, "What are you doing about all those robots outside." He then asked if my mother (who is 93) was "Gathering an army." It went on like this during the visit.
I saw him again today and he was back to his normal self and laughed about his previous antics.
So, they did a marvelous job and all for free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like whatever they gave him was good stuff!
Yeah, he was tripping alright.
My sister also had a similar reaction once in a French hospital after she had developed a nasty infection. She remembers sitting there and seeing a miniature fairground with tiny people in full swing on her lap. She said it was enthralling and sat there for hours watching it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds good to me. The husband of a friend of mine gave her such a row when she went to visit him in hospital. He said she nearly sat on the cat that was on the bed and she was to be more careful in the future. Isnt it strange how the mind works, these things can be so realistic at the time

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m so glad your dad is okay! At 92 you don’t take any chances. Of course, since your mom was gathering an army and you’re the big cheese, it sounds as if together you had the power to battle anything that tried to threaten him. :)

My dad had one of those defibrillator thingies implanted and the bills rolled in for months.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everytime I hear someone vehemently oppose universal healthcare, I remind them of the wonderful things you people from other countries have to say about it. The US is way behind on this issue. I've never heard any of you say something negative about it.

Glad your Dad isn't worrying about the gathering army!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The only thing I truly miss about living in the UK is the NHS. I don't think people who grew up in England really appreciate how good the health service is until they get sick or injured in another country.

They took excellent care of my Dad, who is now in his 80's, when he needed an artery replaced in his leg. After a few weeks in hospital he was moved to a kind of old people's home/hospice for a month and it was like a luxury hotel! He had his own room and a balcony overlooking the park.

He's back home now, but he gets weekly visits from NHS staff to check that he's OK.

I'm glad you Dad is feeling better mightyboosh mightyboosh

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful that he's doing so well. :)

I don't know about now, but back in the late 1980s (Thatcher time) it was a lifesaver for me.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a Brit, there are many faults with the NHS but they saved my life when I was a toddler almost dying of pneumonia. Whenever I hear about people in other countries struggling to afford doctors appointments and surgeries, I always am grateful that we can all get free access to healthcare for whatever problem we have.
I'm very happy to hear that your father is recovering and I wish him all the best.