Good Hair

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's says exactly what I said.
Most of the hair they get either gets resold and that money goes back to running the charity or towards alopecia areata research. The woman who started the charity has alopecia so that is her main focus.
A good portion of the rest of the hair is tossed simply because most adults do not have good hair. The use of harsh detergents (shampoo), styling products of any kinds, hair driers/irons, and even our own health and hormones ruins it pretty quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
strange_wings;2903152 said:
Silly question, especially since the truth about this has even been stated on here a few times.
Good Lord!! I simply wanted to share an experience with everyone. Wasn't really looking to be criticized or called "silly." I'm not a spokesperson for the organization and wasn't trying to sell the idea of donating hair to anyone else. Having had a few relatives die from cancer while still children I know that many times the hair is provided to these kids free of charge.
I've only been on this site for 6 months so if the "truth about this has been stated on here a few times" then I must have missed it.
Anyway, thanks to all who accepted the thread for what it was--just a couple hours out of my day that I wanted to share.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the list I found of the different organizations that accept hair donations:
Pantene Beautiful Lengths
Wigs for Kids
Locks of Love
Children with Hair Loss
Childhood Leukemia Foundation

They all have different requirements. Like Pantene will accept 8-inch-long ponytails, Locks of Love requires at least 10 inches, the others require at least 12 inches. Some accept gray hair and some treated hair, others don't. They're all worthy charities. Here's the link with the info:
http://www.squidoo.com/donateyourhair

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You even quoted me. Where the heck did I call you silly? I said silly question, as in the question was silly. If your name had came after the word silly, or I had followed it with "you" then I would have been calling you such.

Far be it for people to ever research anything.

I've had it.