Good cat wet and dry food brand in Canada ?

H2201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to know what are the good brands of food in Canada for my cast and how do I keep my baby healthy as I see many people feed their cats vitamin supplements and so on ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose Orijen is in Canada? This is pricey, but one of the very best brands. of dry food...
Im myself NOT living in Canada, so I dont know what brands are common there.... So Im perhaps not the best person to answer your question.

I want to mention goats milk; is usually a good supplement / treat... Full fat unflavored youghurt too.

Vitamine supplement is usually NOT necessary on healthy cats... Useful in reconvalescents, or a cat whom by some reason is weaker than usual...
Addition of vitamine E is the only exception, sometimes extra vitamine E vill give the extra edge. So to speak.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only supplement I might add if you are feeding a nutritionally complete food would possibly be fish oil, something like salmon oil (Omega 3) I would do that for my cats but they don't like it.

You may read about people giving supplements if they feed raw or cook their cat's food from scraatch. Then you definitely must supplement to make sure it is 100% nutritionally complete. Otherwise you can actually overdo with vitamins, etc., and that wouldn't be good.

I'm not in Canada either, so can't be of help in the food department. Maybe there is something in this thread that will help, but I don't know which of these brands are available in Canada: High Quality Cat Food

As far as keeping your cat healthy, there are no guarantees that feeding the very best food in the world will keep him healthy, or feeding the very worst food will make him sick. Some cats who've eating dry meow mix their entire lives have lived a very long time, and others who eaten the best of the best have not. A lot depends on genetics, the environment, etc. All you can do is your best. And you cannot force your cat to eat what YOU want it to eat. They can be extremely picky and some cats will hold out and make themselves sick if they don't get what they want to eat. Don't stress over food. Feed them what they will eat is my motto.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in Canada, but can't really advise on the best brand of cat food available here. As what's best for one cat, might not be the best for another. Plus like mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens posted, you might decide on the absolute best food for your cat, and your cat might refuse to eat it.

FWIW, I feed my Ruby Merrick Limited Ingredient Turkey, but mostly because she has food sensitivity, and this one (currently) is agreeing with her system.

Here's a couple TCS articles on cat food that might be helpful:
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat - TheCatSite
How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food? - TheCatSite