Going to do some painting

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So hubby and I have been making lists of things that need to be done to the house since before we married. As far as actually doing any projects though, it just doesn't happen. Hubby is scared to start a project so he procrastinates. He just gets worried about how it will turn out, so he won't try it.

I finally put my foot down while we were at Lowe's today. I want to paint.

When hubby and his Dad re-did the house (back in the day), instead of re-plastering the walls, they just hung paneling. The house was going to be a rental so they didn't want to spend a lot of money. Hubby chose some of the paneling, his dad chose some of the paneling and in the dining room, there are 3 different patterns of paneling none of which match any of the other paneling in the house. On top of that, the dining room and back entry (from the mudroom) are the darkest areas of the house and the paneling makes it darker.

Since I am mobile and don't start work until the 14th, I said, "let me paint!!!" I figure that the paneling seams will actually give the room character and I am only going to paint down to the chair rail and leave the wainscoating alone.

He doesn't have to do anything, but he is already in a bad mood because of the potential change.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Painting over "wood" paneling is a pain--been there, done that! Try using a coat or 2 of primer, especially over the darker paneling.

I've been itching to paint, too! I just started faux-finishing an old (Goodwill find from our apartment) 3-drawer chest that I use in the foyer. I had painted the chest part a cream-tan, and faux-finished the top to look like green marble. After 6 years, I'm tired of it. I'm painting the chest glossy white, and faux-finishing the top to like like tan background granite (matches the granite counter in the bathroom). Also, the drawers always leave the gloves and scarves musty-smelling, so I'm giving them a coat of Kilz primer inside (it blocks out smell--even cat pee smell--I highly recommend it, cat-owners!
).

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our livingroom used to be dark paneling. I just painted over it and never had a problem. I like the way the grooves look.

My favorite thing is working on our old home. Problem is, once one thing is done there are more waiting!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the worst with this painting thing! We've been in our house since August, well, purchased in August been in Since like September, and I STILL have one bedroom HALF painted!
Maybe sometime before next summer it will get finished and I can actually use that room! Good luck to you on getting it done yourself!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, here are the before and after pics

Darcy thought that the paint rags made a fantastic nest

Marcie, who is normally nonathletic, managed to climb a ladder and jump to the top of the bookcase where she could supervise and demand attention.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very nice!

PS, you might want to check on Darcy...I think she's been overcome by paint fumes in that last picture.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Very nice!

PS, you might want to check on Darcy...I think she's been overcome by paint fumes in that last picture.
As usual, she has a need to be the center of attention
If she feels like she is lacking in attention, she will go to the center of the floor and roll around and be cute until she gets a belly rub.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was cleaning up the painting mess and I noticed some imperfections in one of the walls. IT WAS CAT HAIR! How does cat hair do it? I don't care how clean an area is, cat hair will find its way into food, clothes, and apparently paint

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Very nice!

I think she's being a bit dramatic.

Great job!
It looks much nicer than the floral pattern, very light and clean. And yes, cat hair will find its way onto any painted surface no matter how much you vacuumed beforehand. It's one of the rules of living in cat owned household.

I must know - what is that tree thingy in the hall?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I think she's being a bit dramatic.

Great job!
It looks much nicer than the floral pattern, very light and clean. And yes, cat hair will find its way onto any painted surface no matter how much you vacuumed beforehand. It's one of the rules of living in cat owned household.

I must know - what is that tree thingy in the hall?
I think you are seeing my "cork tree"

Here is a thread I started about it http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192634