Going grey

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think I'd go for option 1, but maybe with longer breaks between visits so your hair doesn't get damaged too much. Have you asked your stylist about using henna to cover the grey and condition your hair while you wait for the grey to all grow in?

I think grey hair can look really beautiful if it's well cared for.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I remember is being so traumatized when my mother in law remarried and went to live on a ranch. She had medium blonde hair. when we went to see her 6 months later she had aged at LEAST twenty years with her grey hair! I vowed I would NEVER do that. To me, it is just giving up, like wearing pajama bottoms, no bra, and no makeup to Walmart. I don't try to look good to impress anyone, I feel my best when I look my best. I color my own hair and have for 40 years. The grey roots that do come in now blend in because I am naturally an ash blond. Maybe people could go ash blond for a few years while transitioning. I think I will just revert to a darker ash blond, it has grey in it anyway, then think about growing it out when I am 75 or so and don't care what I look like. I know some 80-year-olds that still wear makeup and color their hair. If you think grey hair doesn't age you, take a before and after picture!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All I remember is being so traumatized when my mother in law remarried and went to live on a ranch. She had medium blonde hair. when we went to see her 6 months later she had aged at LEAST twenty years with her grey hair! I vowed I would NEVER do that. To me, it is just giving up, like wearing pajama bottoms, no bra, and no makeup to Walmart. I don't try to look good to impress anyone, I feel my best when I look my best. I color my own hair and have for 40 years. The grey roots that do come in now blend in because I am naturally an ash blond. Maybe people could go ash blond for a few years while transitioning. I think I will just revert to a darker ash blond, it has grey in it anyway, then think about growing it out when I am 75 or so and don't care what I look like. I know some 80-year-olds that still wear makeup and color their hair. If you think grey hair doesn't age you, take a before and after picture!
I agree. At least for myself. Grey hair suits some but not others. It doesn't suit me, that's for sure. I color my own too and have been for a long time. I also trim it myself having been taught by a hairdresser a long time ago. My grandmother was 94 when she passed and colored her hair until the very end. I used to joke that I'd go grey right after she did.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends on the colour grey you go. The silver grey can look stunning but the mucky grey can be aging.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother still has mostly brown (her natural) colour hair at age 61, but she has dyed some of her grey streaks lavender to hide them. It's quite subtle and isn't too obvious but does make a difference.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends on the colour grey you go. The silver grey can look stunning but the mucky grey can be aging.
I completely agree! :agree: I have two friends who are both gray. One has beautiful thick silver gray hair and the other a dusty almost dingy shade of gray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'm going with #1. I'll talk to her about a possible longer interval between highlightings.

My biggest fear is that I will "age" instantly. That really scares me.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your advice!