God! People can be so greedy!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went grocery shopping today. Usually I go on Friday evening and have the groceries delivered on Saturday or go Saturday and have same day delivery.  But it was so cold and snowy this past weekend that I stayed in.

I bought 5 canvas bags of groceries, plus one 20 pound bag of cat litter.

The taxi ride home was $7.20.

I had my little shopping buggy with me, but there were more bags than would fit into it, and I can't carry very much for very far because of my back and I get very short of breath when I carry heavy things.

So I asked the driver if I gave him a total of $15.00 (ride and tip), if he would help me up to the 7th floor (there is an elevator), with 2 of the bags that would not fit into the cart.

You know what he told me?

"For extra $20.00. I do it"

He wanted the cab fare, plus $20.00 to carry 2 bags into the building and drop them off on the 7th floor!

I told him no thanks, and gave him exact change for the taxi.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That's harsh! My parents do not have a vehicle so they rely on cabs to get around...ALL of the cab drivers help them bring their groceries in without even asking or expecting a tip. Glad you didn't tip him!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your country needs online shopping.

I go onto my supermarkets website, book a slot for what day and time l want it to be delivered,  then start my shopping

For £3.00 it's brought to my front door in it's bags or into my kitchen if l wanted.   No queues, and no going out in horrible weather

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I go onto my supermarkets website, book a slot for what day and time l want it to be delivered,  then start my shopping

For £3.00 it's brought to my front door in it's bags or into my kitchen if l wanted.   No queues, and no going out in horrible weather

Yep me too,its brilliant delivered right to your door and I agree people are greedy, I would have rather struggled than pay him the unheartless person.x

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, this is incredible! I wish!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bet it would go down well where you are as well Nat. You can book your slots a few weeks in advance and add to it if you forget something. I can add to mine up to 4.a.m on the day it's being delivered.

Not sure if your able to view this to browse around the aisles,  but this is the supermarket l do mine on

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a PeaPod around you? I know one of my GFs who lives in the Chicago area uses PeaPod for online delivery and she loves their service. It has really come in handy for her at times.

I've often thought about starting up some kind of "errands" business, where I would just run errands for people. Like grocery shopping, drycleaning, vet visits and the like. I've wondered how something like that would work, if it would be profitable. PA has a lot of older people who might use a service like that. (Of course, with gas prices the way they are, it might not even be advisable at this point.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wish we had online shopping.  There are a few smaller grocers such as "Payfair" that if you call in they will shop for you and deliver your groceries, but they aren't much bigger than a corner store, and because they can't buy as much as the larger stores like Safeway, their prices are so much higher too.

Safeway does deliver, but you have to go to the store and do your own shopping and same day delivery has a cut off time of 4:30 pm weekdays and 3:00 pm on Saturday.   I can't get weekday delivery because I work.

Online shopping would be most welcome here, especially in the winter months, and many seniors would take advantage of it.  Though I bet many would probably just buy 6 things and want to have it delivered on a daily basis. 

I think for such a concept to work you would have to have a minimum order.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bet it would go down well where you are as well Nat. You can book your slots a few weeks in advance and add to it if you forget something. I can add to mine up to 4.a.m on the day it's being delivered.

Not sure if your able to view this to browse around the aisles,  but this is the supermarket l do mine on

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/
Now THAT is just cool

There is nothing like that here. 

A local chain was doing online ordering, then you could pick up your order at the store.  But I don't think it ever caught on, and as far as I know it's not offered here anymore.

But then again, I'm now trying to do most of my shopping at the local military commissary, since their prices are for the most part, better than any of the chains here or Walmart.

Cheryl

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

For £3.00 it's brought to my front door in it's bags or into my kitchen if l wanted.   No queues, and no going out in horrible weather :bigthumb:
For only 3 pounds, what a fantastic service! And Tesco is a reasonably priced supermarket too, not like you have to go to high-end one to get it. When I was living in the UK in the 90s I worked for disabled people who would have really benefited from that service.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other large supermarkets here also do delivery such as Asda (Now owned by Walmart) and Sainsbury's.

You also have the option of  them picking a substitute if what you want is off the shelf,  and they'll give you it for the same price even if it's more expensive.

You should send the Tesco link to your supermarkets head office asking why can't they do the same, because so many people would use it

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a shame.  The safeway here has online ordering and delivery.  I wonder if enough folks in your area asked, if they'd update your safeway to allow the same?

I wish we had online shopping.  There are a few smaller grocers such as "Payfair" that if you call in they will shop for you and deliver your groceries, but they aren't much bigger than a corner store, and because they can't buy as much as the larger stores like Safeway, their prices are so much higher too.

Safeway does deliver, but you have to go to the store and do your own shopping and same day delivery has a cut off time of 4:30 pm weekdays and 3:00 pm on Saturday.   I can't get weekday delivery because I work.

Online shopping would be most welcome here, especially in the winter months, and many seniors would take advantage of it.  Though I bet many would probably just buy 6 things and want to have it delivered on a daily basis. 

I think for such a concept to work you would have to have a minimum order.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
In SE Pa, I know that Acme delivers, and I think Giant has started too.

Is there a PeaPod around you? I know one of my GFs who lives in the Chicago area uses PeaPod for online delivery and she loves their service. It has really come in handy for her at times.

I've often thought about starting up some kind of "errands" business, where I would just run errands for people. Like grocery shopping, drycleaning, vet visits and the like. I've wondered how something like that would work, if it would be profitable. PA has a lot of older people who might use a service like that. (Of course, with gas prices the way they are, it might not even be advisable at this point.)

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's terrible. Some people now a days, it's sad. 

I don't have a car, and the busses in my city are currently on strike (for about 1 month now) so grocery delivery would be very nice right now! 

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible. Some people now a days, it's sad. 

I don't have a car, and the busses in my city are currently on strike (for about 1 month now) so grocery delivery would be very nice right now! 

Yeah, really though. I don't have a car either and will be needing the buses for appointments soon. I can't afford a cab each time. We need our buses...but  I mean for what people pay cab drivers, you'd think they'd all be a little nicer. Maybe if we had enough people come forward and suggest it, Sobeys or Superstore would start delivering. That might be wishful thinking though. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, really though. I don't have a car either and will be needing the buses for appointments soon. I can't afford a cab each time. We need our buses...but  I mean for what people pay cab drivers, you'd think they'd all be a little nicer. Maybe if we had enough people come forward and suggest it, Sobeys or Superstore would start delivering. That might be wishful thinking though. lol

We have Sobey's here. I know a lot of people go there to shop; is it that much cheaper than Safeway?  

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Sobey's here. I know a lot of people go there to shop; is it that much cheaper than Safeway?  

I don't believe we have a Safeway in Nova Scotia. At least nothing came back when I did a location search. But Sobeys, I think, is a little more pricey than Superstore.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a former cab driver, and people like that give all of us a bad name. Most of my fares on weekdays were taking usually elderly people to stores, appointments, etc, and I never once did anything like that. I would help  them in and out of the cab if needed, carry their groceries at  least to the porch to make them easily available, and often did not get tipped at all, as many of them were on a fixed income and could not afford it. Many of them would request me after I had driven them a few times and they knew I would give them good service.

The treatment you got was entirely unacceptable. If you need to take a cab in the future, try requesting a female driver. They tend to be nicer than a lot of the men.