Goatee

bonillac416

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Goatee last week stopped eating and became lethargic (this was on Friday). I took him to the vet (Sat) the very next day and had blood work done, given fluids, anti-nausea medicine and a b12 shot. I started syringe feeding him by pureeing his food in my nutri bullet and adding Lysine powder, Probiotics and a bit of diluted apple cider vinegar in water. I did this 3x throughout the day. By the next day (Sun) I started to see a slight improvement in him. The second day after even more. I finally hear back from the vet that his bilirubin was high but liver functions were normal. Slightly elevated white blood count. Kidneys were normal and so was the pancreas. So I brought him back the day after my conversation with her (Tue) to give him an antibiotic shot and to take urine from him. Vet said he was looking a bit Jaundice so she gave me a liver supplement to give him which I started that day. He was again showing that he was more energetic and gave me a hard time to syringe feed him that morning. That evening he started to eat on his own. I received news of his urine test the next day stating hi levels of bilirubin in his urine as well but no crystals or UTI present. I let the vet know that he is doing great, eating, drinking water, using the litter box and no more lethargy and she said it may be a bacterial Hepatitis infection and he will need to come back in two weeks for another antibiotic shot and blood work to see how his liver functions are and if they are the same or higher he would need an ultra sound done. Has anyone have seen this before? He was already improving before the antibiotic shot but she seems to think it is because of the shot. Has anyone had there cat with these symptoms or similar pull through without further complications or did they get sick again?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I don't have any suggestions or advice for this - but my cat's test results came back with elevated liver numbers a couple years ago. He's 13 now.

Somewhat as you did, I tackled his diet and made some changes (as I had no guidance from the vet as to why it happened or what to do about it), began to add some clean Milk Thistle (no other ingredients in the bottle), and improved his water by adding a pur filter on the faucet since he likes drinking from the kitchen sink as well as from his bowl, with the thought that the less work his liver and kidneys have to do, the better.

We're all good, --having regular zoomies, chasing bugs, jumping on the top of the refrigerator etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your boy continues on the road of improvement!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonillac416

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is great news! Yeah my vet isn't really giving me a why this is happening. She did give me a liver supplement. I need to see if it has milk thistle in it. If it doesn't I will def put that in his diet. So far, he is doing great though. :)

bonillac416

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got his second blood tests back today, two weeks after his first one and I was given great news! All his tests came back normal. His bilirubin was 1.4 two weeks ago and he was also Jaundice. The normal range is .1 to .4 and he was at the High NORMAL range .4. :) We don't know exactly what caused the whole thing but the doctor is going with a Hepatitis Infection. He has already received two Convenia shots (each shot lasts two weeks) and will need a 3rd in two weeks with another and hopefully last blood test to make sure everything is still going great. He needs 6 weeks of antibiotics to make sure we get rid of the Hepatitis Infection if that is what caused it. He is also taking a liver anti-inflammatory supplement that the vet gave him and I add Milk Thistle to it along with Lysine powder, Pro and Pre biotic powder with a bit of water and syringe it down his throat every morning.

bonillac416

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet was also pleasantly surprised. She said it had a lot to do with the care I gave him at home. I am so happy and relieved. I will of course still keep a very close eye on him and continue with his Milk Thistle and liver supplement.