Goat milk?

tpapictures

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are lots of goat milk products on the market now as many of you may have noticed. Is there any reason to think it has anything that regular organic natural goat milk doesn't have? Or when you buy the cat versions are you just paying the 'cat tax' (when the exact same ingredients are in another cheaper product but the cat one is more because it's sold as a "cat product")
Can anyone nutritionally speak to this? I don't mind buying a small goat milk container, but I'm not buying a frozen litre in a pet store because it's "for cats" if it's just like any other goat milk.

Other examples of "cat tax": never buy the feline packs of freeze dried treats (like Pure Bites). The dog ones are the exact same product and cheaper per gram. Plus they're a bit bigger so they don't crumble into a powder as quickly and you can break them into the size you need.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've purchased goat milk at a local natural foods grocery store as well as the Honest Kitchen's dehydrated version.

The Honest Kitchen (human grade pet foods) lists ingredients for their goat milk;
Dehydrated goat's milk, dried bacillus coagulans fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus rhamnosus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product. Contains a source of live, naturally occurring microorganisms.

The local goat milk product's ingredient;
Goat Milk

This gives a little more information, including the statement at the end of the article that there is little nutritional difference between raw and pasteurized;
Is Raw Goat Milk Healthy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tpapictures

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right, I just see SO many people talking about it as a topper or something to mix in with different foods (if of course your cat likes it) so I just wondered if people thought regular goat milk intended for humans could be used for cats.