Ginger's Cat Grass

Jack B

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello My Friends
It's been a while since we posted here, busy, busy, busy! So here are a couple snappies of the terrible beast enjoying a new crop of cat grass. The first photo is the new crop, MMM yummy. Life is good! The second photo is what remained of the previous crop. " I made a mess and the big Bozo that controls the food has to clean it up. And he thinks he is the boss!" It seems like just the other day she was a tiny little kitten and was very cuddly. Now she is a teenager cat and you know what that means, she is just too cool to cuddle, most of the time. I have been through this before and it shall pass. But I still love my little kitty.
Jack and Ginger
Grass 1.jpg
Grass 2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jack B

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello My Friends
Here is something you may find useful. As tea always tastes better when sipped from a pretty cup, I suppose cat grass is better when grown in a pretty pot. Put some garden soil in the pot, most any soil will do as cat grass isn't fussy. But I always toss in a small amount of organic fertilizer. Then add a generous amount of cat grass seed and cover it up with a half inch or so more soil. This seed came from the local pet supply. Then give it a good drink of water and keep it moist. You can make a pretty good cat grass waterer from a plastic water bottle as shown here. Just drill some tiny holes in the cap. Or you can heat up a pin or sewing needle on the stove and poke the holes with that. Then set it in a sunny warm window and in a few days the seeds will sprout and then in a week or so you will have a fine crop of cat grass as shown in the last photo. Your little furry friends will be most appreciative and then you will have a mess to clean up. Your cats will greatly enjoy watching you clean up the mess they have made. Too much fun!
Love and happiness to you and your kitties.
Jack
Grass 4.jpg
Grass 5.jpg
Grass 6.jpg
Grass 7.jpg
Grass 8.jpg

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for keeping us updated on the amazing adventures of Miss Ginger, who is not so little anymore! Glad you two are weathering the teenage years with good humor.

My cats have always enjoyed watching me clean their litterbox.....

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger is definitely adorable!

Any negative effects from the cat grass? I let Olive have a bunch of cat grass, and she was like a little goat. She nibbled half the grass down and probably consumed many pieces. The next day she had a distinctly hoarser meow than normal and I worried about scratching her throat. So I took away her cat grass privileges.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jack B

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello My Friends
To answer KarenKat's question, I think Olive may have over indulged a bit mainly because it was something new. Perhaps limiting her access to the grass next time until the newness wears off. All my cats have enjoyed this treat with no ill effects for many years. Nipper and Chessie loved, it and they both lived to be seventeen.
To kittypa, Peko is a very handsome boy and is obviously very protective of his crop. " Don't you even think of touching my cat grass!" What a lucky boy.
Have a great day.
Jack

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer KarenKat's question, I think Olive may have over indulged a bit mainly because it was something new. Perhaps limiting her access to the grass next time until the newness wears off. All my cats have enjoyed this treat with no ill effects for many years. Nipper and Chessie loved, it and they both lived to be seventeen.
Thanks. Olive is really, really good at overindulgence, so it makes sense she did it here, lol. :lol: