Giardia and Roundworm, re treat another dose?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

My new rescue from my outside guys, Zena soon to be something else because she turned out to be a boy, tested positive for both. He has had one course of panacur and almost done with metro. It seemed his stool was firming a bit, but last night he was so hungry I gave him two cans of soft nearly and today he had one partially formed, the first ever and then all loose moosh again. I just wonder if it is ok and needed to treat with panacur or both again and when? He is also on gabapentin for stress/aggression. I want to get his stool back to normal asap and let him out of the cage to see if he can live indoors etc. He is starting to use lb with wee pad and a small amount of litter but he is still not 100% but peed on wee pad once, so have to fix that as well to be loose. I gave him some forti flora in dry food today which he liked, he actually licked the forti flora left under the kibble off the plate.

I know giardia can be hard to get rid of. I am being super careful cleaning and sterilizing everything.

Last edited:

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Panacure does have to be repeated. Five days on, ten days off, five days on, ten days off, five days on, ten days off...Until your veterinarian gives you the okay to stop. Once won't do the job, I'm afraid.
If he was used to living outside, try putting dirt or soil in a litter box. If he goes readily to that, decrease the dirt and add cat litter. He'll get the idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panacure does have to be repeated. Five days on, ten days off, five days on, ten days off, five days on, ten days off...Until your veterinarian gives you the okay to stop. Once won't do the job, I'm afraid.
If he was used to living outside, try putting dirt or soil in a litter box. If he goes readily to that, decrease the dirt and add cat litter. He'll get the idea.
Thanks 😀 I will call dvm tomorrow and let them know he needs more metro etc. I was worried about soil because I am worried it could be contaminated with parasites etc. I may try potting soil but I think it will be a huge mess. If I put a clay litter I got on top of the wee pad and some newspaper strips he used it for both mostly but when I ran out and put my other guys worlds best cat litter cat litter in he wont use it. He has another box with wbcl which he mostly sleeps in, he did poop in that once though and he then still slept there. But now he is mostly sleeping in the attached carrier part. So I will try increasing the litter slowly but not until he is clear of giardia etc.

I just hope the poop clears up soon, and he gets lb box adjusted. With Merlin it was a long ordeal that took a few months and a diet change. All my previous outdoor rescues never had so many such issues.

Last edited: