Giada's blood won't clot

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Giada has recently had her regular test for the blood clotting times. Things are going worse.
I'm attaching a table with the last four tests
GCT.JPG

The range values are different in 2020/2021 and 2022 because we changed lab.
As you can see, the last values, Sept 2022, are way outside the range, and the aPTT is non measurable. It seems that her blood won't clot!

In May 2022 we also ran a Clotting Factors Test (a really expensive test), and nearly all factors are lower or much lower than the range.
GCF.JPG

My vets don't know what to say, they consulted with some outsourced experts, and they were told that there's nothing to worry about, but in my opinion there's a dangerous trend to an extreme and uncontrollable condition.
Giada is doing fine and has no symptoms or clinical signs. I realized something wasn't fine when in August 2020 I clipped her nails, I clipped one too short and she bled a little, but the blood wouldn't stop. Hence the first test.

I would like to have a second or third opinion on this, because I don't think it is something we can overlook, but I don't know where to go. It seems there aren't many experts on this out there.

Any idea, suggestion or experience with this?
Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The clotting process is started in the bone marrow as it produces platelets. There could be a problem there. Most of what I have seen in humans with this problem often went back to their diet too. There are certain bacteria that are necessary to help the body absorb Vitamin k, which is critical in the blood clotting process. Vit. K could be given to help the blood clot, but it first must be absorbed. I would check her K levels. Then evaluate her diet to see if it is inhibiting bacteria in her stomach or intestines. Giving a pre/probiotic may not be a bad idea and certainly wouldn't hurt. You might want to do some research and change her diet.
I'm so sorry, Antonio. Please check with the vets that said there is nothing to worry about and see what they mean. maybe there truly isn't and worry would only be necessary if she needs surgery. Then perhaps vit. K could be given. There is the possibility of internal hemorrhage, but if she is doing fine now, just love her all you can and keep looking for answers. But try not to subject her to a lot of unnecessary stress and tests too. I'll pray for a miracle!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked the vet about vitamin K, and they told me that it is used when other factors than a congenital reason are involved, like a poisoning or a disease that depletes the vitamin K.
All blood works have been fine so far. She has been on S. Boulardii for weeks in the past, but nothing changed.
The vets say that there's nothing to worry about because the cause is mainly in the Faxtor XII which, according to the experts, should not affect the whole clotting process.
What the results say, though, is that the last sample didn't clot, so in my opinion, should Giada get hurt, she might have a serious problem.

This issue was well known before the spaying surgery. I realized this problem at home about a couple of months prior to the surgery, that's why in that period we ran a few tests.
Then the vet said that they would have been particularly careful during the operation, and they would have had a blood sack ready for a transfusion.
I asked them to run a blood type test, and it came out Giada is Type B, and they couldn't find a donor.

Wow, the weirdest cases all happen in my home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add some more words on vitamin K.
My beloved Pallina had a liver disease that compromised her clotting ability, so she was on vitamin K tablets for a long time, at least 6 months, but the results were disappointing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel for you. You most likely have all these 'different' scenarios because you are so thorough as a cat parent. Most people wouldnt even know their cat had a problem!
I completely agree! :agree:

If not for you these cats most likely wouldn't be here or possibly be suffering. However, your input and knowledge is definitely helpful to any members that might be going through something similar now or in the future. Sending hugs, prayers, special thoughts and healing vibes from across the Atlantic. :grouphug2: 🙏 :hugs: :vibes::vibes: :grouphug:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of think, I am in the same thoughts as you are: With the One who Guides Us..
I always get cats who have dire issues. Not as awful as your kitties, but bad... I have been going through the 'Why me" phase for a long time.. I am told, and I have to remember that: God Gives you (me) the cats who need you (me), to provide them with love and care. I do not know if this is an honor, or just plain bad luck.. I get it.. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

❤💔💔💔💔💔