GI Bleeding

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Binx (11-year-old former feral cat) suddenly became sick Thursday night with dark runny stool and vomiting. Yesterday morning, he vomited some bloody-looking stuff and roundworms. I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. I couldn't afford bloodwork or x-rays. I'm in a terrible financial situation right now (looking for a second job), and CareCredit isn't even an option for me. So the vet set up a treatment plan. Binx was sent home with Profender, Revolution, omeprazole, sucralfate, AmoxiClav, Proviable, and buprenorphine. He was given SubQ fluids, Cerenia, and B-12 at the vet's office. There were some other concerns, such as weight loss, anemia, nasal discharge, grade 1 heart murmur (the vet said he may just be nervous), and a slightly low body temperature.

After bringing him home, he ate a little bit of food and was grooming himself. Today, he is refusing to eat again and is hiding under the couch. I spoke with the receptionist at the vet's office this morning. I was hoping to squeeze him in today for more fluids. They wouldn't see him because they were all booked up and only have 1 vet working today. The receptionist recommended taking him to the ER vet, which I can't do. I told her I will monitor him over the weekend and bring him back on Monday if he doesn't start eating. She said, "Well, we really recommend taking them to the emergency vet when they won't eat." The LVT told me yesterday that it will take a couple of days for the meds to start working, and if he's not eating by Monday, bring him back in.

Has anyone had experience with GI bleeding in their cat? How long did it take for your cat to bounce back? How can I make sure Binx stays hydrated? What would be the best foods to offer him? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm trying to get him through the weekend, and I will take him first thing Monday morning for more fluids.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. This is a tough situation.

The vet hospital recommends the ER because a cat can suffer from a very serious condition called hepatic lipidosis aka fatty liver disease, from not eating. The length of time and the reduction in amount consumed before it sets in, if it does, is variable depending on the cat and condition. Overweight cats are more likely to suffer from it sooner but regular weight cats can also get it.

I totally understand financial problems. You can only do what you can do. The problem is that without the diagnostics, ie blood work and radiographs, there is no way to know what is going on with your cat. Also, you have to be careful with the amount of fluids given to a cat with a heart murmur. Are you sure what he vomited was round worms. Because that would be unusual, in my opinion, to see in an adult cat. The fact that he is hiding is evidence that he feels very poorly.

Is he an outside cat or indoor only? Does he ever eat hair ties or play with them? Could he have got into anything? If he goes outside are you in an area where they treat for rodents? What color are his gums? Any chance he could have heartworms? What area just a rough area, not exactly, are you in? How is your cat's breathing?

Black in the stool or black diarrhea sometimes looking like coffee grinds is GI bleeding where it has been digested. Red blood also called frank blood in the stool is usually much lower down the GI tract like with hemorrhoids or a lower GI bleed.

The causes of a cat having the symptoms you describe are. as you know very serious. There just isn't any good advice to give without knowing or at least suspecting the cause. I have never seen roundworms cause this in an adult cat and I have only seen roundworms a couple of times in an adult cat.

You can try chicken babyfood provided the only ingredient are chicken, water, corn starch, and citric acid. But I doubt your cat will eat this if he is feeling bad enough to hide. If he has an obstruction, you might not want to feed him or even try to.

Can you maybe try doing a go-fund me or a plea on facebook for help with the finances?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Binx came out of hiding and ate a little bit of food. Maybe the meds are starting to help.

He definitely has roundworms. I put one in a little snack bag and took it to the vet's office with me just to make sure.

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just another update for anyone who may be reading this: Binx is slowly nibbling on his food, maybe every 30 minutes or so. He was walking around the kitchen and living room this morning. I also saw him grooming himself. He's still not 100% his normal self, but he is making progress.

I found a low-cost clinic that does "senior wellness bloodwork." I will get more information on that tomorrow (they're closed today, of course).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Between last night and this morning, it seems as if Binx is eating enough to make it until tomorrow morning. Your vet was kind enough to give you something which would possibly help a number of conditions; Profender and Revolution should kill roundworms.

Do you have any ideas about or did you observe anything different over the last few days?

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Between last night and this morning, it seems as if Binx is eating enough to make it until tomorrow morning. Your vet was kind enough to give you something which would possibly help a number of conditions; Profender and Revolution should kill roundworms.

Do you have any ideas about or did you observe anything different over the last few days?
The few days leading up to his illness? He was sticking his tongue out, drooling a little, and not eating all of his food. I thought he was having symptoms of stomatitis or dental issues. (I was already planning on taking him to the vet next Friday to have that checked out.) The vet did notice inflammation in his mouth. I'm just not sure if that's related to his GI issues. He didn't have any other problems, like vomiting or diarrhea, until Thursday evening.

So far, no vomiting or diarrhea since visiting the vet.