Getting Worried :(

LuciLu1812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya, I need some advice.
One of my cats, Rowan, has been starting to act quite differently, he's generally quite an aloof cat, but his sudden behaviour change has me quite worried.

I'm more sad than worried though, since my cats have never acted like this.
Rowan is quite greedy and is always wanting food, however, he still eats food just not as excited I suppose? Today I actually had to pick him up and carry him to his bowl, where he ate as normal.I think he is afraid of the kitchen or something along those lines, because he is reluctant to enter the kitchen from the garden as well, he hesitates for a couple of minutes and in the end he usually runs away. I know he wants to come in because he sits outside looking longingly into the kitchen lol.

He also has become a lot less social. I mean everytime I go to stroke him (the rare occasion when he isn't sleeping or somewhere outside) he ducks his head, and the only way I can stroke him is if he smells my finger, he then does the "I love you blink" to my hand and I get about 5 seconds to stroke him before I have to repeat the action. He just seems very anxious and I'm not sure why.

I am speculating that it has something to do with my brother scaring him, as he doesnt like Rowan.
Thank you for reading this and please give me some tips, I just want my cat to be happy :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuciLu1812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this means anything but when he's relaxing he'll look at me then make a weird meow.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your brother someone he sees on a daily basis or an occasional visitor? He very well may be stressed by him, but he could also not be feeling well. Tell us more about your living situation.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 that he definitely could be stressed out by your brother. And providing a bit more info about your home situation would help as well. You also mentioned, "one of my cats," how many more cats do you have and does your brother scare them too?

BTW, I noticed you are a new member to TCS - a very warm welcome! :welcomesign: Please feel free to read some of the Articles and other resources. We would love to see a picture of Rowan, if you'd like you can post one here: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

LuciLu1812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your brother someone he sees on a daily basis or an occasional visitor? He very well may be stressed by him, but he could also not be feeling well. Tell us more about your living situation.
My brother lives with me, so Rowan sees him everyday.

LuciLu1812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 that he definitely could be stressed out by your brother. And providing a bit more info about your home situation would help as well. You also mentioned, "one of my cats," how many more cats do you have and does your brother scare them too?

BTW, I noticed you are a new member to TCS - a very warm welcome! :welcomesign: Please feel free to read some of the Articles and other resources. We would love to see a picture of Rowan, if you'd like you can post one here: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!
Thank you very much!
I have two cats, Rowan and Lola. Chris likes Lola a lot more. I'm not sure what else to put about my home situation other than nothing in the house has stressed him out.

LuciLu1812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think he is ill, I just think he needs more reassurance? However, I don't know how to give him that.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for letting us know you have two cats, Rowan and Lola. How old is your brother? The reason I'm asking is because I hope he is old enough for you to have a heart-to-heart discussion with him and explain that his preference for Lola is negatively impacting Rowan. Perhaps you can encourage him to give Rowan some one-on-one attention with interactive toys and definitely "Not" scaring him. It will take time for Rowan to build up his trust in your brother but it is not impossible. Here are a few articles that might help to build Rowan's confidence for starters:
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat

LuciLu1812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, thank you so much!
Could you give me some tips on how to show him the kitchen is a safe place?
I have talked to my brother and he has confessed that he kind of shoved Rowan out of the way whilst cooking. He said it wasn't hard, but this is a 6'2 man talking so it must of been forceful enough to spook him.
It's quite windy today so Rowan came back in the middle of the day, where he was constantly meowing and being a little friendly!
Hopefully, Rowan will gain some trust back. I will make sure to move the cat bowls to a different place so he can eat without my brother being there.
Thank you very much for the help!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
L LuciLu1812 You're entirely welcome, glad I could help. :) Regarding teaching Rowan the kitchen is a safe place - have high places/shelves/even a perch by the window. Also have an easily accesible escape route in case he feels threatened. Play with interactive toys that he enjoys in the kitchen so he looks forward to coming in the room. Offer him yummy treats so he associates the kitchen with good things. Best of luck, please keep us posted on Rowan's progress. :alright: