Getting issues after Cat neutering.

CatsAreLovable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I really need help if anyone knows anything or experience the same then please suggest what can be done.
I've a male cat of 2 and half years old. He got
IMG20221228224552.jpg
neutered 20 days ago and was recovering well. We put e collar on his neck from the very first day till today so he didn't lick his wounds. But from 10 days there's weird thing around his stitches. We took him to vet and vet give us some antibiotics medicine and also suggest to apply ointment. Now vet is out of town for 3 more days and there is almost no improvement in my cat's condition.
I've attached the photos kindly guide what is it. Is it some bacteria or infection or just litter around his incisions? I'm really stressed.

PS - The first image is of before vet visit and second one is after taking antibiotics and ointment.
IMG20230103175427.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
So, he doesn't seem to be in pain and is eating and drinking, and using his litterbox for both jobs?

He does still seem to be rather swollen after 10 days although granted, he's a little older for this surgery but otherwise I'm thinking that isn't the crusty dark material just a thick layer of dried blood that's gradually drying up and flaking off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsAreLovable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
So, he doesn't seem to be in pain and is eating and drinking, and using his litterbox for both jobs?

He does still seem to be rather swollen after 10 days although granted, he's a little older for this surgery but otherwise I'm thinking that isn't the crusty dark material just a thick layer of dried blood that's gradually drying up and flaking off?

Thanks for the reply ☺
Yes he's eating and drinking well. We also are using shredded papers in his litter box. He's quite energetic and playful nowadays so don't think there's any pain.
I also thought that this could be dried blood but we didn't see any blood stain near him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have seen male cats, ferals who were TNRed and not put into a cone, lick that area and develop some darkness, but nothing like this. Your cat has been wearing a cone, which makes this more concerning. Definitely call the vet or find another vet who can take a look at this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsAreLovable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys for replying. Yes I've consult vet online and some more medications are given to my cat. Guess I need to wait for some more days to take him to vet clinic in order to examine him. But hopefully he make fast recovery till then 🤞🥺