Getting A Second Cat

idleimperatrix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone, I'll try to be succinct.

Last year, in September, my SO & I adopted a cat from the Humane Society, Bebe. Originally, we were going to get two cats, but they mentioned that Bebe had just gotten over an upper respiratory infection, and that we should wait 30 days before getting another cat just to be safe. We agreed that was a good idea, and Bebe came home with us alone. We discussed that after the holiday rush we'd get a second cat.

By the time January had rolled around, Bebe had bonded very closely to me (I worked from home at the time). When I brought up the idea of going to get a second cat, my SO would just insist that Bebe would become terribly jealous of any other cat we got getting any of my attention.

Last month, I got promoted at work, which, while great, means I'm not around to play with Bebe all day, since I'm now required to work in the main office. I've gotten her a wealth of toys, but she's become extremely emotionally needy when I'm home (crying if I shut her out of a room I'm in, insisting on being held whenever I'm spending time with her, etc.) I've done my best to not encourage that behavior, but I really think she's just lonely, and needs a companion. My SO of course has a ton of objections, but they are reasonable, so I figured I'd ask people more experienced with cats than I am about them.

We have a very small apartment in a large city, (one bedroom) so we wouldn't have the space to keep the second cat separated from Bebe for very long. He's concerned that if they don't like each other we don't have the ability to keep the separate.

The Humane Society staff that helped us with the adoption said Bebe was terrible with other cats, but every other cat she's been around (my friend's cats, my SO's parents cats, my mom's cats) she has either been distant but not fighty (mostly just laying there looking at them like she's bored) or very friendly and cuddly (She likes to sleep in a puddle with my best friend's older cat). She does, however, have a major problem with dogs (she hisses at them and hides), but we're not discussing a dog anyway.

Do any of you have experience with introducing a second cat into a single-cat household? how has it gone? Do you have any advice for this? I know my SO is just worried about 'what happens if the cats hate each other?' I'd like to alleviate his fears as best as possible, so that we might be able to get Bebe a companion in February or so, when I'll have a week off to be home with both cats.

If you have any other questions for me to help clarify, please don't hesitate to ask.

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in to see the responses, but as for what the Humane Society said, do you know if that info came from a previous owner, or from shelter interactions? I've seen a lot of cases (supported by other research that I've read), where a shelter cat will not like cats, dogs, children, men, etc. but mellow out once they're out of the stress of the shelter.

I'm in to see the responses because I'm contemplating getting a buddy for Hank (permanently), whether I should foster, or just let him be an only-kitty-child. Kinda like your Bebe, he's emotionally needy, and walks around crying if I'm not easy to find, or able to hold him at a particular juncture.

We did do a short interaction at my vet (they had a dumped kitten, who I was contemplating taking), and the kitten just...really did not like Hank. At all. Hissing, floofing up, the whole bit. She was perfect with my friend, the vet and myself.. it was just Hank she got hissy with. Hank, to his credit, got hissed at, looked shocked ("What the heck did I do?"), and proceeded to ignore the kitten for the next half-hour of sharing spaces, despite multiple attempts to get them used to each other. He noticed where she was at a given moment, and then looked away and avoided her. (I'm thinking, on the one hand, that he would be a great cat for fosters to interact with, since he's so laid back...On the other, he's a total pushover, and a snugglebug, so I'm with you in that he might get "jealous" of having to share with another cat).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise