Getting a New Tattoo on the back of my neck and getting a abcess from it..

untoldmemories

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know about two months ago I decided to go with friends to the Tattoo Expo in Miami. I knew I wanted a bigger tattoo on the back of my neck. I already had a tiny Chinese symbol that meant my Chinese animal sign. I wanted that covered up with some sort of Cross and to be bigger. So we went to this expo and I had found a tattoo artist that would draw up a cross that I requested and was willing to cover up my pre excisting tattoo. It cost me about $180.00 to get it done. Shortly after when he was done I felt like a itch or a little scratch on the tattoo.  I didn't think anything of it. About a week later this pimple like cyst, or hard bump started forming. About a month later it was hard and hot to touch. I then was getting worried. It was A Saturday afternoon and this hard lump on the back of my neck was becoming painful. I had been researching the Internet and tried to search for any information on what it could possibly be.All the horror story's got me thinking. I then went to the emergency room where the Doctor told me It was a lymph node. And that there's nothing he could really do for me other than send me home with some antibiotics. I then thought to myself a lymph node would be usually be on the sides of your neck not in the dead center where mine is. So the antibiotics started to work vaguely and then the hard bump formed back, bigger and was more painful. I then went back to the emergency room because it happen to be a Sunday and a different Doctor told me that it is a large mass and that there is nothing he could do for me than refer me to a eye, ear, nose, and throat Doctor. So NOW I am freaking out and the following day I decided to go to my primary Doctor. He looked at the back of my neck and knew right away what this thing was. He told me he has to give me a shot in the bump to numb it up and take out all the puss and gunk that has formulated in this mass. I immediately started tearing up because i am a big baby when it comes to shot and further more this thing is painful enough, and to add a shot in there ewe. So any ways he ended up sucking out a big vile of green gunk. Wow it felt so much better. The Doc then sampled it and sent it to the lab to see if it is sterile and could be treated with antibiotics.. Still waiting for the results. So my advise to you if you get decide that you want to get a tattoo, make sure everything is sterile clean and in non open packages. make sure the tattoo artist is wearing gloves and he or she puts sanitizer on before the gloves. Also don't be afraid to ask about the dates on all the utensils they use for your tattoo, because some things like needles or tubes or colors could be out of date. Just be cautious and don't be afraid to ask questions. This is your body and diseases and infections could be deadly. Fortunately I got lucky. Also if you do decide to get a tattoo make sure you keep it covered with a pad or whatever the cover it up with for at least a few hours so no germs can get on it. Also clean often and keep it moist with whatever product you are advise to use on it....

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awful! I hope it gets better.

Did it happen to have any red in it? Some people are very sensitive to the red pigments and get what they call a red reaction. Original, huh? I had never had anything like that, but dh recently tried a new bright red and wouldn't you know, I got a reaction from it. 33 years of getting tattooed, and I get one now, on a big piece on my wrist. Sometimes they are like you have, and sometimes they are raised and scaly, most of them eventually turn out ok with little damage to the tattoo.