Getting a kitty with a herpesvirus

alice-the-cat-lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I'm currently awaiting getting a kitty from a breeder (russian blue breed), I've been waiting for 2 months and I'm super exited for the little one to join us however the breeder texted me saying the cat had a little cold. I got suspicious and started asking questions. She said cat had herpesvirus but she went through it very easily, rest of the cats struggled. Cat is only 9 weeks old now and she's not vaccinated yet. Breeder said the cats got it from her because she was ill. I have a dilemma now and would love for you experienced cat lovers to help me :) Is it worth getting that kitty or should I ask for my deposit back? I read so many different opinions online on how this virus affects cats in the future I'm not sure anymore. Breeder doesn't have problem with giving me deposit back but I just want to ask you.... am I overthinking it? I'm paying a lot of money for the cat so I obviously don't want to get one that will get constantly ill in the future (not just because it would cost me a lot on vet visits but also because it would be breaking my heart each time she would suffer, I'm a big cat lover and I had many cats in the past, just never ill ones).

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
The herpes virus in cats is WAY more common than people know or realize. Each cat responds differently and each cat can have a "flare-up" for different reasons too. Some get cold-like symptoms because of stress, some can be triggered by weather conditions. Some may never show any signs or symptoms ever.
What concerns me is that the kittens are 9 weeks and haven't started their shots yet. Maybe there are circumstances preventing the breeder from taking them, but a responsible breeder usually does things like shots and checkups on a very set schedule. Not only that, but if her kittens were I'll, she should have been at the vet for that issue in the first place.
I will admit that I am not for breeding in any way, shape or form, but I still want to help out where I can.
If I was in your position, I'd ask the breeder for a copy of blood work when they are taken to get their shots (which is recommended at 6-8 weeks). This could help calm your fears of this being anything other than the herpes virus. As a potential customer, you have the right to request proof of medical transparency. Long story short, there's no way to tell what or how (if any) this will manifest itself in the future. Same goes for any cat, from anywhere. They're all different, just like us.
As always, when it comes to breeders, it's buyer beware and do your due diligence in researching them.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would not be too happy about taking this particular kitten. I am certain that a cat cannot catch a herpes virus from a sick human any more than a sick cat can infect a human being. The virus usually travels directly from cat to cat, but can be transferred in bedding, food bowls and from hands and shoes of humans, who have been dealing with infected cats.

If you take on a stray or rescue cat without symptoms, you can never be 100 % certain that the cat is a not a carrier of the virus. However, I would hope that all breeders would be more careful. They are not obliged to keep a large number of cats and a good breeder will do his best to protect his cats from viruses. Where there are too many cats (always the danger in shelters) there will be a problem.

Vets generally should not vaccinate young kittens who show any signs of cat flu (sneezing, running eyes and nose) so maybe that is the reason why the kittens have not yet had their shots. If they have any cold-like symptoms, a vaccination can make the situation far worse.

I am only involved with rescue and our kittens are not vaccinated if there is any doubt about their health. The new owners are given a voucher to get the kittens vaccinated as soon as they have fully recovered, at least externally. Some vets recommend waiting a whole year, after a bad flare-up of cat flu. Unfortunately, a cat who has had herpes, can infect other cats for the rest of her life. It is therefore important that all cats are vaccinated.

So, although I have no qualms whatsover about taking on a cat who has had, and may still have, the herpes virus, I myself would not like to pay a lot of money for such a cat from a breeder. Perhaps, like Mr. Meow Mr. Meow I am not too sympathetic with breeders, though I can well imagine paying to rescue and neuter a pedigree queen to save her from her fate. :)