Getting a cat to eat

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My George has been ill - has been to the vet and we think it's a virus. He has lost weight and only is eating small amounts at a time. We have tried a lot of foods - he will eat a bit then stop. We have some treats he will eat. Any ideas? I've tried baby food and even got the recovery pate from the vet which he didn't like at all. I may need to finger feed him that. If anyone has an idea I'm listening. TIA!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet about an appetite stimulant. A feeding tube is a last resort. Is the cat nauseous?

What kind of virus does the vet think your cat has? A respiratory virus? That may affect a cat's sense of smell. Super stinky canned foods may help. Adding toppers may also help as will FortiFlora.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are not sure. He’s had a fever and we are on antibiotic #2. It isn’t respiratory. I am worried.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a girl who periodically stops eating. Vet always says it is viral (which I disagree with because none of the others ever catch it.). When this happens we go to stinky food, nausea medicines and if bad enough an appetite stimulant. To feed her while she isn't eating, I get a large syringe and mix food with water and syringe feed her multiple times a day. It is messy and I do get scratched -especially when she starts feeling better, but when she finally eats what a feeling of triumph!! A syringe may be safer than trying to finger feed - that could lead to a bite.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have Leukemia and get VERY sick at times, so I am well versed in getting them to eat. Now is not the time to worry about nutrition, just get something in him to give him the strength to fight. I have used Arby's roast beef, Mcdonald's hamburger patties, and Kentucky fried chicken (a favorite) to get them to eat. I also always keep on hand Hartz Delectables Lickable treats in the pouch and in the STEW flavors. I give all their medicines in it too, it was the ONLY thing my Yammy would eat when was so sick. A few licks frequently are helpful, don't expect them to eat a lot. Walmart carries it and also online at Target, etc. I also started them on DMG and LifeGold from Amazon and they have not had a reoccurrence in a year! I'll pray for your little boy......

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've tried baby food and even got the recovery pate from the vet which he didn't like at all.
By recovery pate, was it Urgent Care A/D? This one: Hill's® Prescription Diet® a/d® Canine/Feline
The reason I asked is because our cat had Pancreatitis and wouldn't eat anything, not even baby food. But he was addicted to the A/D which helped immensely.

I thought you might get some ideas from this Article to help his appetite:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

Fingers crossed, please keep us posted on George's progress. :crossfingers:

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It is Royal Canin Recovery RS. He is only eating very small amounts and we have been all watching him closely and he seems eager to eat but only eats a small amount then backs away. He may be nauseous. I have noticed that if I try again he will eat another small amount.

We have something similar to the Hartz - we found Catit had a lickable treat in a tube which he will take, I can often get him to take a whole one on my finger if I am persistent.

I am familiar with syringe feeding, I did this with my last cat when he had renal failure. The recovery diet will work well there because it is pureed smooth and I can thin it out.

I am going to call the vet today, maybe get a weight and temp check and see what he thinks about nausea medicine or an appetite stimulant.

Does anyone else have a horrible pit in their stomach when one of their babies is sick? Ugh I hate this!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well just back from the vet! Good news is he is leukaemia/HIV neg! Not so good news is he now has a slight white blood cell count and still has a fever. He is also down 1 pound. The vet feels pretty confident it is viral/bacteria so he said keep giving the metacam for fever, new antibiotic and he has to eat. So I got more cans of the RS diet and I finger fed him 1/3 can when we got home. He actually did quite well with it. A bit of a mess but most of it when in him! Hopefully this will do the trick. I will look for that other food - Hill's Prescription Urgent Care also! Thank you everyone!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well just back from the vet! Good news is he is leukaemia/HIV neg!
I got more cans of the RS diet and I finger fed him 1/3 can when we got home. He actually did quite well with it. A bit of a mess but most of it when in him! Hopefully this will do the trick. I will look for that other food - Hill's Prescription Urgent Care also! Thank you everyone!
Thanks for the update and good news! :thumbsup: You should be able to get Hill's Urgent Care A/D from your vet otherwise ask them for a prescription.