Gerber Baby Food??

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The two rescued alley kittens are enjoying a varied diet of dry Purina Naturals Original, wet Meow Mix Chicken, dry Temptations sniped from older cats' treat bowl and... Gerber Baby Food in the little jars.

The kittens go through 5-7 jars a day so they do enjoy Gerber Baby Food. I started feeding Gerber to our ferrets when they were young and Gerber was said to be high in protein so I fed it to the kittens without thinking about it.

My question is Gerber Baby Food okay for kittens?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good thing to get them used to baby food, because someday they might be sick and need the calories, or else you might need to sneak some meds in there. . .but 5-7 jars a day seems a bit much! It's not a balanced diet, plus yikes, that's expensive. So it would be good to start to wean them off it gradually, and only use it as an occasional treat and not part of their daily diet (or keep it to only 1 jar a day split between them if you want to keep feeding it daily).

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a good thing to get them used to baby food, because someday they might be sick and need the calories, or else you might need to sneak some meds in there. . .but 5-7 jars a day seems a bit much! It's not a balanced diet, plus yikes, that's expensive. So it would be good to start to wean them off it gradually, and only use it as an occasional treat and not part of their daily diet.
I agree. Most kittens (and full grown cats too :)) love the Fancy Feast canned kitten food. I usually keep a can or two on hand for my Lilith when she's being fussy about canned food. She likes the turkey best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
W Willowy
Yes Gerber is more expensive and that's a valid concern but we were in a hurry when Doorbell's mother brought her to us so we went with what we had experience feeding.

Both kittens are voracious eaters. The Tuxie is more, shall we say, pleasingly plump than the black long-hair but the long-hair kitten was emaciated when we took her in - the docs in the house said that without help she had only a few hours left to live. She's doing MUCH better now - grown in size but has a leaner build than the Tuxie.

Kat0121 Kat0121
Will get a few cans of Fancy Feast Turkey and see how little ones respond.

Thanks all

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Taken moments ago to show the world I'm not starving my kittens. Doorbell at top and Wanda Belle closest
fullsizeoutput_be4.jpeg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No one thinks they are starving. It's just that the baby food does not have all the nutrients that cats need. It's better for them to be on kitten food with the baby food being used as an occasional treat or topper for the wet cat food if they are being fussy. They are both adorable. :cloud9: :heartshape:

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No one thinks they are starving. It's just that the baby food does not have all the nutrients that cats need. It's better for them to be on kitten food with the baby food being used as an occasional treat or topper for the wet cat food if they are being fussy. They are both adorable. :cloud9: :heartshape:
This is the guidance I'm looking for. Will cut back on Gerber.

I wrote down the list of TCS preferred cat foods and will try a selection of these.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They are gorgeous little kittens. At my house, someone is always on Gerber's due to age or illness as the cats I have span from 2 years to 16 years. I had an outdoor feral survive the last few months of her life on 4 jars per day. My biggest concern when I read your post is that you are spending a lot of money on young cats who can adjust to regular food. Also, I have had cats who decided that it was Gerber's or nothing and then you do have to supplement which is a big issue (only happened with very old cats.) I thought it was sweet of you to go out and buy them as much Gerber's as they wanted though.

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should ease back on Gerber. Kittens eat some of all the food offered. Instead of keeping fresh Gerber out all the time, think it smart to put Gerber out a few (4 or so) times a day and see how the kittens do.

My original concern was the nutritional value of Gerber (chicken and beef) but I think I'm overfeeding it.

Maybe Purina Naturals is better nutritionally than Gerber? Kittens always have Purina Naturals Original available so they won't go hungry.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat is not complete. That's essentially what the Gerber's is. It's pureed meat with none of the supplements that makes cat food nutritionally complete. You should skip the Gerber's altogether if you can. They need their nutrients to fuel all their kitten growth. Save the Gerber's for sick and old cats.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should ease back on Gerber. Kittens eat some of all the food offered. Instead of keeping fresh Gerber out all the time, think it smart to put Gerber out a few (4 or so) times a day and see how the kittens do.

My original concern was the nutritional value of Gerber (chicken and beef) but I think I'm overfeeding it.

Maybe Purina Naturals is better nutritionally than Gerber? Kittens always have Purina Naturals Original available so they won't go hungry.
Literally any food with an AAFCO statement that says "complete and balanced" is superior nutrition over Gerber. Kittens, because they have a lot of growth to do in their first year, need complete and balanced food far more than older cats. They need their nutrition too. But they won't see issues from a nutritionally incomplete diet as quickly as a kitten might.

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Literally any food with an AAFCO statement that says "complete and balanced" is superior nutrition over Gerber. Kittens, because they have a lot of growth to do in their first year, need complete and balanced food far more than older cats. They need their nutrition too. But they won't see issues from a nutritionally incomplete diet as quickly as a kitten might.
daftcat75 daftcat75
I am happy to report Purina Naturals Original says that on the front of the food sack.
"100% Complete and Balanced For All Life Stages"
So starting tonight we are pivoting from mainly Gerber to Purina Naturals and feed Gerber as a treat only.
Thank you!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please also feed nutritionally compete wet food. Cats, by nature and instinct, get their moisture from their diet. Even cats who seem to drink a lot likely aren’t drinking enough. Kittens can eat a lot. So I don’t blame you for feeding some dry food. But you will have an easier time incorporating wet food into their regular diet while they are ravenous kittens than if you wait until they have become discerning (picky) adults. In the long run, more moisture in their diet will help against three of the most common maladies of older cats: gut issues, teeth issues, and kidney disease. It will also help them maintain a healthy weight which will keep them active and happy (less joint pain) for longer. 😻 Most cats love Fancy Feast Classic pates. They probably have a higher calorie kitten food too. I haven’t cared for kittens in almost 20 years.

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75

Roger the Fancy Feast Classic pates. Will pick some up this morning.

May have briefly tried the Kitten pate. IIRC Walmart carries this on the shelf. Will try again.

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going to store today for Fancy Feast pates and hopefully Kitten pates as well.

Also, after reading TCS list of preferred foods, placed a bag of this on next week's monthly CHEWY order.
127794_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1598029255_.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75

Roger the Fancy Feast Classic pates. Will pick some up this morning.

May have briefly tried the Kitten pate. IIRC Walmart carries this on the shelf. Will try again.
Yes. Most WM stores carry the FF pate for kittens. If you are not using kitten food, make sure the label on the food states it is for all life stages.