Gave Niece My 12 Weeks Old Kitten And...

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After my 26 year old niece was wanting one of my kittens, which I gave her 3 days ago, now she's been texting me continuing to complain that she has not been able to sleep because the kitten is too active. And that she's not able to study, for the kitten continues playing with her feet and bitting on her laptop cord. She's thinking of giving it back to me but feels emotional in doing so. I am kind of upset because of this. Any comments?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens do so! Its just showing its a normal healthy kitten.

Having two kittens or another older but playful cat is the remedy.

Or leave back when its still "brand new" and still has easy to find a good home.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps if she wsnts just one cat and dont want to be bothered much, she shall take an older fixed cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd take the kitten back and recommend that she look for an older cat at the shelter. Preferably a no kill with foster homes so she knows the personality outside a shelter environment. It sounds like she is enamored with cute kittens but doesn't really have the time or patience for one. It's not a good situation for her or the kitten to try to make it work if her priorities are elsewhere. But an older, calmer, mellow cat might be a good companion without requiring as much interaction on her part.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she just doesn't know that's normal for a kitten, a little reassurance might help. But if she just plain doesn't want to live with a kitten, that's that. She should definitely return the kitten before the kitty gets too attached to her. Don't be upset; returning the kitten is better than forcing herself to pretend she's OK with it and then getting rid of the cat after a few years.

I think you'll find that MOST people who say they want a kitten change their minds when the kitten actually shows up. It's a problem for those who do rescue. That's why breeders prefer to have a long waiting list before having a litter.