Gaping Holes On My New Mommy Cat!

BellaLove0625

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm a new cat parent of 1 year and 3 months. My girl recently gave birth, at first everything was perfect until after about 2 weeks after giving birth she became ill. She had problems with her liver and had a fever. I went to the vet and got several medications and thankfully she became better right away. Then, I noticed that she was started to release fluids from her stomach, keep in mind that she is no longer nursing her 4 kittens since I saw that her nipples have become irritated. It was a yellow, foul smelling liquid together with blood. I went straight to the vet when I noticed her very red and irritated stomach that now appeared to look like it was wounded or infected. The vet gave me additional medication for her wounds and its been 5 days since she got her new medication and I noticed that although the bleeding has stopped, her stomach now has TWO GAPING HOLES IN IT. I don't know what to do or what caused this since her kittens are no where near her and she has not been nursing at all for the last week and a half. Can someone please give me some input or advice as to what you think is happening? I will bring her to the vet tomorrow and I'm just scared as to what caused this. The bill also has become very expensive, making me spend almost 500$ and I'm a student. :( This the picture of her stomach now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS albeit I'm terribly sorry your cat is having this serious health issue. Although this problem is out of my realm of feline knowledge I'm bumping your thread up in the hopes that someone with more experience in this matter can offer support and advice.

I thought this Article on post birth complications in cats might be helpful:
Post-birth Complications In Cats

Sending special thoughts and healing vibes for your girl. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is out of my realm of experience as well but it sounds like infected mastitis. Two of the teats may have abscessed and burst. If that is what happened then the worst is over but you definitely need to check with the vet. There is a way to avoid having this happen again, you could get your cat spayed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That does look like ruptured abscesses secondary to mastitis. You DO need to see the vet again, although the fact that they ruptured means the infection is coming out, rather than staying in. You should also start bottle feeding the kittens with KMR, every 2 hours, around the clock, and I KNOW what a struggle this will be for you, but Mama does NOT need to be trying to nurse them at this point, although she can certain see to their pottying needs, and clean and nurture them, if she is up to it.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B BellaLove0625 --Updates, please! How is mom cat doing? Has she seen a vet yet? She needs to. A secondary infection can become active in either or both wounds. At least, you can put plain, ordinary Neosporin on her wounds. Not the type with added pain killer, or anything else.