Gain Weight For Sensitive Kitty?

CocoBean93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having trouble putting weight on my 8yr old female shorthair kitty. Her weight hovers right around 7.5lbs, and while not unhealthy, she is skinnier than I’d like. She’s seen a vet recently, with a clean bill of health and recent dental cleaning. I’ve been feeding her free choice Purina ProPlan FOCUS urinary dry food, and about half a can a day of Pure Harmony wet food.

To add another thing to the mix, she has an allergy to fish, so I can’t feed anything with fish meal.

Any recommendations on how to put a little meat on her bones?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You can try adding kitten food, treats like freeze dried Pure Bites, Sheba meaty sticks, etc, and freeze dried minnows. Also some raw egg yolk now and then, maybe once or twice a week (the egg white must be cooked). You can also see if fortiflora sprinkled on her food, including kibble, helps entice her to eat more. The unflavored gelatin mentioned in that older thread is a tempting idea, I might add that to my arsenal :).

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little black girl is always just a bit too skinny as well. no health reasons, vet said she is just a skinny cat, just like people they can run thin, or heavy. :)

I keep dry out all the time, i feed Dr. Elseys chicken. and i feed her wet food two or three times a day. she never eats much at once, so the more times i feed her the better. I also have found that if i use freeze dried chicken treats and crumble on top of her wet food she will eat a little more. She prefers minced wet food, she will eat a little pate or shredded, but really prefers small minced bits, sometimes i mash them with a fork a little, and she seems to like that. Maybe try some different proteins, or textures for your girl?

you may try changing her food up some? if she isnt on food for medical problems try some other foods to see if she eats more? Many pet stores in my area sell smaller bags of dry 1 or 2 lb sizes, so you can try them. I buy those and feed her little mini meals occasionally as well, sometimes the different food gets her eating more for a bit.

Good luck getting a bit of weight on her. My girl is fairly stable in her weight. I would like to see her weigh about a pound more, but as long as she does not loose its ok, some just run skinny :)