Gagging/Bobbing Head - What is it?

TikkaBeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone help us identify what is happening when our cat is gagging/bobbing her head? She's done this several times, where it seems like she's going to throw up, but then usually doesn't. Instead, she will just bob her head, and kind of do a swallow/gag, or smacking her lips. These attacks last a couple of minutes, where she'll do it somewhat rhythmically, almost like hiccups. We showed the video to our vet, but she wasn't able to identify the issue. Searching on YouTube for cats throwing up just gives some upsetting results. Does anyone recognize the movement?

YouTube link: https://youtube.com/shorts/LhEyLkZ206w?feature=share

To give some context, our cat has IBD/SCL and does have issues with throwing up, which is why this is a concern. She is on prednisolone 2.5mg/day, chlorambucil 5mg every two weeks, and cerenia as needed. She also has kidney disease, and recently came down from a pancreatitis flare-up.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you contacted your Vet about this? I would. Your baby has so much going on, that I think the Vet would want to know about this.. could be a fur ball, could be gastric reflux...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does look like hiccups because of the rhythm and pauses in between. Still could be related to nausea even it if is hiccups. Maybe ask your vet about ondansetron? It usually works better for nausea than cerenia, which is more appropriate for vomiting. Cats can take both at the same time. If not ondansetron, perhaps something like famotidine (Pepcid) which is more for acid build up/reflux but can be used to help offset vomiting/nausea as well. It could be that the cerenia isn't really working for her any longer - seems I have heard/read about that quite a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TikkaBeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on videos we saw, it doesn't seem like hiccups alone. There is definitely discomfort as well, since she hunches over. Acid reflux sounds possible, we will do more research on that front. Our vet saw the same video that we posted.

We hadn't heard of ondansetron before, that's good to know. Do you have any links related to the reduced cerenia effectiveness and using both simultaneously that you could share? Our cat has been on cerenia for over a year, so it's definitely possible that there would be some lost effectiveness. And we already give our other cat famotidine, so at least we have it on hand.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ With my cats these symptoms are always a hairball. I give an eyedropper of olive oil. 🐈

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My Guy has SCL. Cerenia does not seem to help him, at all. I give him a twice daily dose of Zofran (ondansetron). This seems to help him.
I thought Cerenia was a 'wonder' drug. Now, I am not so sure about it. It does not seem to help Geoffrey. I have read that some kitties do better with Zofran.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Based on videos we saw, it doesn't seem like hiccups alone. There is definitely discomfort as well, since she hunches over. Acid reflux sounds possible, we will do more research on that front. Our vet saw the same video that we posted. We hadn't heard of ondansetron before, that's good to know. Do you have any links related to the reduced cerenia effectiveness and using both simultaneously that you could share? Our cat has been on cerenia for over a year, so it's definitely possible that there would be some lost effectiveness. And we already give our other cat famotidine, so at least we have it on hand.
My comments were based on numerous threads on this site, just like the one above - and on two io forums, one for CKD and another for SCL ([email protected] | Home & [email protected] | Home). I joined both of these forums because my cat has CKD and was recently diagnosed with SCL. So, it is merely what I have read from various members of both groups.

I don't blame you for wanting something more substantive than what I can offer. At a minimum, have a discussion with your vet about trying either ondansetron or famotidine, and if one or the either can be used in conjunction with cerenia. If you don't have an internal medicine vet, you might want to consult with one who may have a bit more familiarity with the multiple conditions associated to your cat.

I think trying one of these other meds - perhaps rather than replacing cerenia - is an option for serious consideration. It is worth it to see if one or the other can help. You are getting into a territory that requires some experimentation, if you will, in the hopes it will give your cat some relief.