Gabapentin for cat?

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was also advised by our vet to give it 2 hours before, and the effect will peak at 3 hours and then takes 5-6 hours to wear off.
What was your tablet dosage? Our vet gave us a 1/2 tablet for 7kg body weight and a 1/4 for 4.5kg.

And is it ok to give it twice a day for a long stressful day such as a long drive?

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've given it to my cat before traveling. I live abroad and try to spend a few months in my home country every year - he travels with me, and it's usually a 20 hour trip (including getting to and from the airport). It makes him sleepier, though you can really only tell the difference if you know him.

In France, the vets just give you the pills. In Brazil, his vet gives me a prescription so that I can have it compounded, and they even let you choose the flavor lol. We've tried the one that is a cream you put inside the ears, and I hated it - it left his ears with an appearance of dirty which didn't really go away, so I've sticked to the pills.

The dosage and usage, interestingly enough, vary between both countries as well. His brazilian vet stays within the 50mg range, whereas a few different vets in France have already told me they're comfortable prescribing up to 300mg. I give Topaz 100mg every 12 hours (I think? I need to review this as it's been a full year now). The French vets tell me to give the pill a few hours before, but his Brazilian vet says to start a few days before the trip.

Anyway, their consensus is that it can be used for events that you expect to be stressful for them, what varies is the dosage and how often you can/should use it.