FVRCP Vaccines connected to kidney disease?

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vaccine FVRCP risks - can cause kidney disease, kidney failure: scary research

Here are a couple articles on risks for kidney failure/ disease related to FVRCP vaccines

Low risks for indoor healthy cats not going to the vet -do they need FVRCP vaccines? If so which ones are safer? Adjuvant free better, nasal spray?

Kidney failure related to FVRCP vaccine

Prevalence of autoantibodies that bind to kidney tissues in cats and association risk with antibodies to feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia

Minimizing Feline Vaccination Risks (Minimizing Feline Vaccination Risks)

Feline Vaccination Risks (Feline Vaccination Risks)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting study. Small group of cats but it’s a start. For the last 20 years at least there has been education done for cats environments ask risks to be evaluated in lite of vaccination frequency. Unfortunately many vets don’t follow the recommendations.

20 years ago my brother lost his 16 year old cat to a vaccine induced sarcoma. The cat, who was an only cat living on the second floor of a condo and had been an only cat Inside only her entire life, was vaccinated every year with FVRCP, RV, FELV, in the scruff, which is where the tumor popped up.

I personally, and I don’t recommend this for everyone, give my cats one FVRCP, with PUREVAX. And that is all. My cats are not at risk though.

I have noticed over the decades with cats that in the end stages of their life, they all get kidney disease or failure.

I have also witnessed an outbreak of panleuk in the community and it is horrible. Allot of kittens died and many adults got very sick.

I was also working in shelter medicine in the1980’s and saw how many cats got feline leukemia. Many cats. Now it is not seen nearly as much.

I think there need to be safer vaccines and veterinarians need to follow the recommendations to evaluate each cat individually for their risk before vaccinating. I also think we all need to-realize that immunity from vaccines lasts allot longer than a year.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
All vaccienes have side effects.

The bennifits outweigh the risks or small chance of a side effect.

My cats are bothe indoor cats and get all the recommended vaccienes by the vet at the recommended intervels.

I'm pro vax myself though but to each their own.

I also don't want to deal with the government if my cats hurt someone and they go to the hospital.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vaccine FVRCP risks - can cause kidney disease, kidney failure: scary research

Here are a couple articles on risks for kidney failure/ disease related to FVRCP vaccines

Low risks for indoor healthy cats not going to the vet -do they need FVRCP vaccines? If so which ones are safer? Adjuvant free better, nasal spray?

Kidney failure related to FVRCP vaccine

Prevalence of autoantibodies that bind to kidney tissues in cats and association risk with antibodies to feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia

Minimizing Feline Vaccination Risks (Minimizing Feline Vaccination Risks)

Feline Vaccination Risks (Feline Vaccination Risks)
Thanks for posting this, especially that first link.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting study. Small group of cats but it’s a start. For the last 20 years at least there has been education done for cats environments ask risks to be evaluated in lite of vaccination frequency. Unfortunately many vets don’t follow the recommendations.

20 years ago my brother lost his 16 year old cat to a vaccine induced sarcoma. The cat, who was an only cat living on the second floor of a condo and had been an only cat Inside only her entire life, was vaccinated every year with FVRCP, RV, FELV, in the scruff, which is where the tumor popped up.

I personally, and I don’t recommend this for everyone, give my cats one FVRCP, with PUREVAX. And that is all. My cats are not at risk though.

I have noticed over the decades with cats that in the end stages of their life, they all get kidney disease or failure.

I have also witnessed an outbreak of panleuk in the community and it is horrible. Allot of kittens died and many adults got very sick.

I was also working in shelter medicine in the1980’s and saw how many cats got feline leukemia. Many cats. Now it is not seen nearly as much.

I think there need to be safer vaccines and veterinarians need to follow the recommendations to evaluate each cat individually for their risk before vaccinating. I also think we all need to-realize that immunity from vaccines lasts allot longer than a year.
It seems like if a cat lives alone, or only with other FeLV- cats, in an apartment or condo anywhere above the ground floor, there is literally no upside to vaccination. Even in a ground floor, indoor-only cat, the chance of exposure to something like rabies from a brief escape outdoors has got to be infinitesimal.

Almost all cases of feline hyperthyroidism are caused by brominated flame retardants (the thyroid gland confuses bromine with iodine and overproduces T4; feline hyperthyroidism was almost unheard of until flame retardants were mandated in the 70's), which are unfortunately mandated on just about all synthetic foams and fabrics (couch cushions, foam mattresses, rug pads, etc). It would not surprise me to learn that most "inevitable" chronic feline illnesses are (unintentionally, for the most part) caused by human industry and medicine.

I have a 16-year old indoor/outdoor cat who I vaccinate with the legally required vaccines (I always request the ones that do not cause injection-site tumors), but not FeLV. I know his "territory", and there is one other cat who occasionally enters it. Especially given that older cats are quite good at fighting off that particular virus and he is not immuno-compromised, the extra vaccination has never seemed worth the risk.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, hyperthyroidism is linked to the sealing agent used on cans. So you open that can of expensive Rx cat food, and you subject your cat to hyperthyroidism.

Not to be negative,,,, ok being negative, humans have screwed the earth and its inhabitants so badly. Especially cats.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, hyperthyroidism is linked to the sealing agent used on cans. So you open that can of expensive Rx cat food, and you subject your cat to hyperthyroidism.

Not to be negative,,,, ok being negative, humans have screwed the earth and its inhabitants so badly. Especially cats.
My first cat had hyperthyroidism for most of her life. She lived to be 21, but was on methimazole for more than a decade. After I read about the threat posed by flame retardants, I threw away all my cat beds that had foam cushions sewed into them, and from that point on, used folded organic cotton towels as cat beds (though I do not actually know if cotton towels are treated with flame retardants as well, my understanding is that foam products are the worst in this regard). My next three cats, siblings adopted as kittens, all developed hyperthyroidism between ages 10-14.

All my cats have tolerated methimazole well. However, getting flame retardants out of the household environment is a real struggle. They are not even listed on labels.

What is this chemical in cans that causes hyperthyroidism? I buy only Wellness canned food, in part because they claim not to use BPA. Are you talking about that, or something else?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am linking some information below.
The can thing is mentioned in this, but not seen as that much of a problem.

I originally heard about it from a speaker board certified veterinary professor during a lecture a couple of years ago. I don’t remember his name and it was an online educational talk, so I don’t even know who put it on. It might have been Hills now that I think about it. But, he wasn’t pushing the food and he seemed to be more interested in teaching than bowing down to the great Hills company ( heavy sarcasm)

It’s been a tough day for me so my mind is a little broken right now.

Just my opinion, but I don’t know what can be done to stop environmental exposure in this world where there are so many bad things out there and the information changes constantly and it’s hard to know who to trust.

I feed my cats canned prescription food because they do better on it. My cat Cheetah is hyperthyroid and has been for over 3 years. I treat her with Methimazole.

May have thrown this post off track though and I do apologize for that. We can start a new thread on hyperthyroid.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for posting the link. It looks like BPA and soy are the main concerns in canned food. The Wellness food I buy for my cats does not contain either of those.

I have read elsewhere that predatory fish (salmon, tuna, etc) should be avoided because they accumulate flame retardants (along with mercury and other nasty stuff).
Fish is best avoided for those reasons. Or, at least not given on a regular basis.