Fur Loss and Muscle Wasting from Prednisilone or Thyroid Meds?

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Have 2 older kitties on these meds.
One is losing fur all over, started down spine now patchy all over. Definitely not a stress response and all labs look good, but she has IBD and was on meds now 5 years, 5 mg daily.

Other has a lot of trouble with hind legs, she falls to the side often. X rays are fine, still jumps but she is skinny :( also on 5mg and she is 7pd 3 ounces.

Labs are up to date, Vet said could be from Pred but it's important for them.

The fur loss is mysterious, started slow and progressing faster now. Both girls are rescues and likely around 17 or 18 so it's shocking labs are good but I see it in their fur and bodies and it's hard to think about. I've been very lucky with these two but want to keep them happy and active.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, can you check with the vet or a vet nutritionist to see if you can add something to their diet such as egg yolk or fish oil?

Also, you might have the vet doublecheck what's happening with the thin cat, with a Free T4 test. I am wondering if the thyroid med isn't enough, or would she (or even both of them) benefit from B12?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. These signs could be from the Pred. Ask your vet about trying Budesonide instead. It is used in lieu of Pred for IBD, it is more focused on the intestinal tract, and seems to have less side effects, at least when it comes to heart issues or attributing to diabetes - maybe hair loss too, not sure.

The B-12 injections are a good idea to help with any kind of malabsorption in the intestinal tract which is often a common issue with IBD. Aging cats lose muscle mass, but even more so if they are not absorbing nutrition efficiently. You can have a cobalamin/folate blood test done to see if either are low. Usually, not a 'normal' part of blood work Regardless, you can never overdose with B-12, whatever the body doesn't need is excreted through urination. B-12 injections can be given at home and are pretty easy to do actually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, can you check with the vet or a vet nutritionist to see if you can add something to their diet such as egg yolk or fish oil?

Also, you might have the vet doublecheck what's happening with the thin cat, with a Free T4 test. I am wondering if the thyroid med isn't enough, or would she (or even both of them) benefit from B12?

Hi!
Both were tested for everything last month so she thinks its muscle wasting due to age. X trays showed no arthritis.
B12 does what for kitties? I know humans take it for weight loss but it could be a nutrient deficiency. They are quite old and have IBD. They get a probiotic in food now.
Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
B12 does what for kitties? I know humans take it for weight loss but it could be a nutrient deficiency.
I'll just repeat what I said in my post above:
The B-12 injections are a good idea to help with any kind of malabsorption in the intestinal tract which is often a common issue with IBD. Aging cats lose muscle mass, but even more so if they are not absorbing nutrition efficiently. You can have a cobalamin/folate blood test done to see if either are low. Usually, not a 'normal' part of blood work Regardless, you can never overdose with B-12, whatever the body doesn't need is excreted through urination. B-12 injections can be given at home and are pretty easy to do actually.

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is by Jarrow I think maybe you suggested it on another post? :) Someone here did because kitty was on antibiotics. Both get it now.

She tested thyroid and told me to keep her on same dose half pill am and half pm no changes. She was on meds when tested so should I ask for that specifically? She just ran the test.
The hair loss is bizarre and she seems to be limping a bit :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She was on meds when tested so should I ask for that specifically? She just ran the test.
You might ask to see the results - test results typically are provided with a range of low-mid-high, or ask the vet for more details about how her thyroid is doing.

Pet Dophilus? I haven't used it and am seeing user reviews that indicate it might not be the best compilation of strains. You might take a look at Fera Pre- and Pro- biotics and compare the two, and also look at Tummyworks.

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might ask to see the results - test results typically are provided with a range of low-mid-high, or ask the vet for more details about how her thyroid is doing.

Pet Dophilus? I haven't used it and am seeing user reviews that indicate it might not be the best compilation of strains. You might take a look at Fera Pre- and Pro- biotics and compare the two, and also look at Tummyworks.
No it is a probiotic that is specifically for cats on antibiotics, I think Belaurdi? It is for humans but numerous cats are on it, I read a lot of reviews.

I will ask on the thyroid, thank you!