Fur lose on lower stomach

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is losing fur on her lower stomach and hind legs. The only thing I can think is she's stressed, nervous, or bored. She has no reason to be stressed or nervous. There is that possibility she's a bit bored. I haven't been spending any less time with her than I usually do. I wonder if I should adopt another cat to keep her company. Anybody have any ideas why she could be losing fur? I'll attach photos later if needed.

Thanks in advance.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Boredom does not usually cause a cat to lose fur the way you describe. It could be stress caused by things you might not even be aware of. Things that are happening outside of your home or apartment. A school bus that stops with the engine running nearby, an outdoor cat who hangs out nearby, construction happening nearby, etc. Here is an article talking all about stress in cats and things to do to try to help with it: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Do you see her over grooming her tummy and legs? Have you had her checked out by a Vet? I would consider doing that too if you haven't already.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good advice and information above from mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , but you also cannot rule out a food allergy. Even a food that a cat has been eating for a long time can still provoke an allergy over time. It could also be a change in the ingredients of that food. Another thing could be a change in litter content, either by you or the brand maker, can create an irritation given the location of the hair loss.

How old is she and, in addition to over-grooming as asked above, is she biting at those areas? Any other issues going on? Does she go outside where she could be exposed to something that is causing the hair loss?

If she hasn't seen a vet recently, a vet checkup - also as suggested above - might be an idea. A simple skin scraping of the area (painless) and an analysis of the cells collected might shed some light on possible issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boredom does not usually cause a cat to lose fur the way you describe. It could be stress caused by things you might not even be aware of. Things that are happening outside of your home or apartment. A school bus that stops with the engine running nearby, an outdoor cat who hangs out nearby, construction happening nearby, etc. Here is an article talking all about stress in cats and things to do to try to help with it: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Do you see her over grooming her tummy and legs? Have you had her checked out by a Vet? I would consider doing that too if you haven't already.
I don't know. We live out of the city limits. Away from traffic and, well, any activity at all. I did read over the article. Thank you.

The thing is I haven't seen her over grooming that area. No, she hasn't been checked out recently. I will definitely consider taking her. Thank you!
Good advice and information above from mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , but you also cannot rule out a food allergy. Even a food that a cat has been eating for a long time can still provoke an allergy over time. It could also be a change in the ingredients of that food. Another thing could be a change in litter content, either by you or the brand maker, can create an irritation given the location of the hair loss.

How old is she and, in addition to over-grooming as asked above, is she biting at those areas? Any other issues going on? Does she go outside where she could be exposed to something that is causing the hair loss?

If she hasn't seen a vet recently, a vet checkup - also as suggested above - might be an idea. A simple skin scraping of the area (painless) and an analysis of the cells collected might shed some light on possible issues.
I did change her diet recently.

She'll turn three years in August. No, I haven't seen her biting in that area either. Nope, no other problems that I know of..Yes, she's allowed access to the outdoors. I wouldn't think there'd be anything harmful, but I could very easily be wrong. Thank you both for your help.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Also think dust mites as a possibility.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be a food or litter allergy. Have you changed her litter recently?
She's an outdoor cat, so... Food allergy seems to be a possibility. Thanks for the reply.
Also think dust mites as a possibility.
She doesn't seem to have any other signs of dust mites. Thank you for replying.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought her another brand of cat food, so we'll see if it clears up.