Frustrated to the point of tears

seacat81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I adopted a 14 year old girl a few months ago. She has been the light of my life. I took her for a dental cleaning and a myriad of tests when she started turning down her Instinct pate. Turns out she has stage I kidney disease and nothing else that we can tell.

The problem is now I have bought so many of the most expensive wet foods and she turns down all of them. of course, she won't eat the kidney prescription diet either. I bought a mortar to grind it up because she always leaves the chunks, and tonight she even refused the mashed up food with a little of the N&D mixed in. The ONLY thing she will eat now is goat milk, which i have been pouring very tiny amounts into the kidney diet. Her behavior is completely different, she does not sit still with me calmly anymore ever, she asks for food 24 hours a day. She is a nervous wreck, constantly watching and waiting for me to get up to go to the kitchen. I just don't understand how all of this could take such a turn in the span of a month.

I am heart broken, frustrated. None of the vets will help me help her eat or give me more answers. I don't know what to do for her. She sits and stares at me and gets up every time I go to the kitchen for food but there's nothing more I can give her. Please help me!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is drinking goat‘s milk might she try other liquids like bone marrow?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seacat81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom Thank you very much for the thread. I have tried pretty much every method there. I do have some bonito flakes i can top her food with, I will give it a try as well as try to move it.

Margot Lane Margot Lane is bone marrow okay for cats with kidney disease? she should be avoiding high salt and protein but I wouldn't know.

Thank you so much for your replies.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom Thank you very much for the thread. I have tried pretty much every method there. I do have some bonito flakes i can top her food with, I will give it a try as well as try to move it.

Margot Lane Margot Lane is bone marrow okay for cats with kidney disease? she should be avoiding high salt and protein but I wouldn't know.

Thank you so much for your replies.
Think you can get it w no salt, ditto chicken broth. There are also liquid-y things like churro, tho I have never tried.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did they check her thyroid? Did the send out a test called a free T4? She sounds like a hyperthyroid cat from what you are describing. I would do that test. If she isn’t eating the kidney diet, don’t worry about it, and feed her any canned food she will eat. You can always add a phosphate binder if needed.
I would avoid the goats milk if at all possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seacat81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
S silent meowlook the crazy thing is her thyroid is normal! her symptoms reminded me so much of my old senior cat who had terrible thyroid issues at the end, so I am so worried. i had her t4 test two different times recently and it’s normal. I had no idea there was such a thing. My vets have not helped at all - I got so much more from you all here. Thank you so much.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no info or knowledge about this, I just wanted to say I'm sorry about the diagnosis and will keep you in my thoughts! Hope she starts to eat soon <3