Frustrated Cat Parent

green34ly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

I am here to get some suggestions on how to administer the medications. Long story short my cat has a UTI the vet gave antibiotics, gabapentin, and some royal urinary loaf so that my cat apparently doesn't like and I plan on returning today. Any way it has been a hassle to try to get him to take the medications and I don't want to hurt him while trying to administer the meds. I tried looking at the videos, but they did me no good. I tried the towel method which almost worked but didn't. At this point I am really frustrated and worried he's only had the gabapentin once and the antibiotic zero times. I don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for your time green34ly.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are they pills or injections? We used to put pills in a little bit of either cat or human consumption pate (is that an English word too? Like the meaty spreadable stuff) I don't have much experience with needle injections. Feeding medicine through a needle worked best by holding the cat's neck skin like a mother cat would. But I'm no vet so I don't know what are the best ways. I'd say a vet might be able to give good pointers! Goodluck

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I think many of us struggle with administering medicine at some time or another so you're not alone. 🤗 Some medications are available in a liquid form that you give the cat via syringe in the mouth and others can be given in a transdermal form. Usually an antiobiotic injection as mentioned above is given by your vet. I thought these two TCS Articles might have some helpful information and advice for you: How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat? [Stress-Free Techniques] - TheCatSite
Pilling Cats [Must-Know Tips For Hiding Pills] - TheCatSite

Here are some other threads that deal with giving cats medications which may have some good suggestions:
Best ways of administering medication?
Please help I’m struggling to give my cat medication
How to Give an Injured Cat a Pill?

Best of luck and please feel free to keep us posted on your cat's progress. :alright:

Baker's Dozen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

I am here to get some suggestions on how to administer the medications. Long story short my cat has a UTI the vet gave antibiotics, gabapentin, and some royal urinary loaf so that my cat apparently doesn't like and I plan on returning today. Any way it has been a hassle to try to get him to take the medications and I don't want to hurt him while trying to administer the meds. I tried looking at the videos, but they did me no good. I tried the towel method which almost worked but didn't. At this point I am really frustrated and worried he's only had the gabapentin once and the antibiotic zero times. I don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for your time green34ly.
I don't think the antibiotic can be formulated as a topical application but a pain med can be. Ask your vet about getting gaba or a different pain medicine formulated as an ear rub instead of oral medication. It costs more but it will be so much easier to administer, it's the only way I could get my kitty's pain meds in him when he was recovering from urine crystals. The vet usually has to send the order out to a compounding pharmacy.