From No Meow To Meowing

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious, when I first found my Winter as a stray, he had no meow. He'd open his mouth to meow and no sound would come out but I could tell he was trying! He was roughly 9 months at the time (2012). It took nearly a year from then before suddenly he started actually meowing and sound actually came out. I remember being truly surprised. Now he talks to me all the time. What could have been the cause of him having no sound to his meows before? The thought crossed my mind sometimes that maybe he was actually afraid to meow or make a sound.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats that also wanted to meow but didn't or did very softly. They were also ferals. I always thought the same thing as you thought. That they were afraid to make a sound for fear of being seen, being vulnerable to a predator (though the scent is present), etc.

I love that your cat is now talking and feeling secure and confident. Great job!!

I an interested in seeing others views as to the reason why.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is now meowing for two reasons. First because you talk to him and he communicates back. And has learned that meowing gets him something, be it attention or food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to talk to him the whole year or so that he didn't make a sound at all though, I always talk to my cats. I just find it strange that all of a sudden one day he started actually making a sound. And, yeah, now a days he usually wants something, yes, even if it's just attention. It just seems it took him awhile to actually vocalize a meow at me vs the no sound meow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I was reminiscing/thinking back and my ex was staying with me at the time we found him, that's when he did the no sound meow. It was only after my ex left a year or so later when he, Winter, began meowing with sound. Possibly coincidental but it seems strange IMO. I think it's having more confidence and feeling more secure.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Milo took a while to miaow - he would open his mouth and croak. Now he only truly miaows when he's downstairs and I'm upstairs. It's very loud and he's only 5 months old!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the opposite experience with my Gwen. She was happy but silent for her first year or so with me, but when I started dating my now-husband, she found her voice very quickly and started asserting herself about the apartment being her space and her other preferences and boundaries! I bet there is a connection with your ex's presence.