From Kitten food to Cat food

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our little 11-12 month old 6 pound Blue has been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Kitten dry food since she was 5 months old when she refused any more wet food. I asked our vet which adult cat food she recommends & that was Hills Science Diet. We bought a bag, she really liked it; mixed in a little each day, increasing ratio slowly..........she got serious watery diarrhea; vet said to put her on boiled chicken and rice; that didn't work. We skipped the rice, giving her just the chicken and the diarrhea was gone in 3 days*added in a few Blue Buffalo kibbles each day till she is now back on her kitten Blue Buffalo and also back to normal in the litter box.
My question is Is there any reason we can't continue giving her this kitten food? I checked ingredients and nutritional information and the only real difference between BB Wilderness Kitten and BB Wilderness Adult is that there is Adult has 18% Fat, Kitten has 20% Fat and Adult has 4% Fiber, Kitten has 3.5% Fiber. Blue likes the Kitten and she drinks alot of water from her fountain. Your thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks * we are definitely leaning that way.

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue has been back on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken since my last post. No more loose stools. No plans for feeding her anything else. Her spay date is June 16, I'll let vet know my decision and get a refund for Hills Cat food. Thx to everyone

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue's spay went fine with no problems. :-) Vet agreed that free feeding her Blue Buffalo Kitten dry kibble is fine for now. Her weight before spay was just 5.5 pounds so weight gain is not a problem now. We think she is getting plenty of water from her fountain because there is absolutely no urine smell in her litter box. After spay we were instructed to return to feeding by giving just small amounts frequently. It's just been one week since surgery and incision is fully healed and she's back to normal diet. We used a "surgical onesie type suit instead of a cone. She didn't like it but she survived. All in all our Blue was deemed healthy by her vet and now will be a happier girl since she won't be going through the heat cycles anymore.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feed kitten food until age 2. They can still grow until that time.

If you can get her to eat even just 1 portion of wet with a little water mixed in daily, it will also be better for her health long term. 😸

I would try something simple like Purina Pro plan, Iams Perfect Portions or Fancy Feast. Those ones seem great at encouraging cats to try wet again.

Once she heals all up, there's lots of enrichment toys available for dry food. It's great to give dry food through movement or enrichment! Wishing her a swift recovery ❤