Frequent Visiting Friend

Emmm

Molly’s Mom!
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I need some advice on what to do with this little cutie that keeps visiting my apartment. A few weeks ago my cat Molly was meowing out the window non stop and I saw that she was talking to a cat outside! I went out and he ran away but I left some food out so I could get a better look at him. Now he continues to come by about once every other day to get some food. His ear is clipped.. so someone did take him to get cleaned up and fixed and he looks pretty healthy! I am about to be moving within the few days and I’m not sure if I should move forward into looking to get him a foster home until he’s comfortable? Or if he is content to just be outside which some do. Thanks in advance!! ❤

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of shape is he in? Does he look like someone's been feeding him? If you're moving in a few days, it would be best if you didn't start feeding him so he doesn't come to depend on it.

Before you find him a home, you should talk with all of your neighbors to make sure he doesn't belong to someone. Since he's been ear tipped, and if he appears to be fed, it's likely he's being cared for by someone who might worry if he suddenly disappeared. Take a pic of him with your cell phone and speak with everyone on your block and in your apartment - - someone will know if he belongs to someone, or if someone is feeding him. Also, is he feral or a stray? A stray can easily be moved and re-homed, but not a feral. Even if you found a foster home for a feral (which is a very large if), care must be taken by the caregiver, because if he gets out of the house, he'll try to find his way back to his territory and if there's a good distance to travel it would be dangerous for him. If in doubt, it's best to leave him where he is unless you plan to take him in when you move.