Frequent sneezing, but no other symptoms

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
So the last 3 days Enzo has been sneezing a lot, several times a day. But he has zero other symptoms. His eyes are clear, nose isn’t runny, no cough. Breathing is normal, appetite is normal. I’ve dusted and vacuumed like 6 times because I figure it has to be environmenta allergies. Does anyone have any guesses on what else it might be? I’m not really considering taking him to the vet at this point just because there’s nothing wrong with him other than the sneezing. There’s nothing new in the house, his litter didn’t change, no food changes. I’m just at a total loss because he’s 14 and this has never happened before. Any suggestions on how to help would also be great. Thank you!!

-Cory-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a few things I know of that it could be. My cats have gotten really mild URIs before that only had sneezing as a symptom and nothing else. Some cats also get allergies like we do. My brother's cat also has a form of the herpes virus and it'll flair up sometimes and make him sneezy. Hard to know without consulting your vet though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! He’s been tested for herpes due to a separate health issue years ago and was negative, and we have never had any other pets so I’m not sure how he would get sick. That’s why I’m almost positive it’s just allergies, but I’ve dusted and cleaned multiple times and my house is pretty clean normally. I keep thinking that maybe with the heat running there’s more dust and since his little face is closer to the ground, it may just be that? I’m going to change the house’s air filter tomorrow. If it continues into next week I’ll probably have to take him in. I’m thinking i might try Benadryl, that should maybe help me pin down if it’s dust/allergies. Thank you so much for answering!!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat, Mogy, is "under the weather", she sneezes constantly. I took her to the vet - almost a year ago now - for a senior check up. Although the results were non-conclusive, I was told to monitor her weight and to report back as soon as she starts to lose weight. She stopped sneezing, her weight went up during the summer, and is now creeping back down to what it was last year. She is now sneezing again but only occasionally. I will not go back to the vet until lockdown is over but I believe hot, dry air is causing her to sneeze (with or without dust). Due to COVID 19, I am keeping windows open longer than I did a year ago, so perhaps more fresh air is helping her to stop sneezing. She is 14 years old, had her vaccinations and never had problems with cat flu even as a kitten.

I personally would not use Benadryl without speaking to a vet first.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I keep thinking that maybe with the heat running there’s more dust and since his little face is closer to the ground, it may just be that?
I noticed you are located in PA which gets colder temps in winter. Just out of curiosity, do you have a humidifier on the furnace? We also live in an area that can get extremely cold weather and that is one of several reasons why we have a humidifier to add more moisture so the air does not get overly dry. You may want to call the vet and explain his increased sneezing in case there is something you can do before giving Benadryl or bringing him in. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :alright:

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed you are located in PA which gets colder temps in winter. Just out of curiosity, do you have a humidifier on the furnace? We also live in an area that can get extremely cold weather and that is one of several reasons why we have a humidifier to add more moisture so the air does not get overly dry. You may want to call the vet and explain his increased sneezing in case there is something you can do before giving Benadryl or bringing him in. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :alright:
Yep we do have a humidifier because you’re right it definitely gets dry! I’ll hold off on the Benadryl until I talk to the vet on Monday to be safe. I want to ask her about nasal polyps since he also snores, but he’s done that for quite awhile now. Thank you so much :)

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cat, Mogy, is "under the weather", she sneezes constantly. I took her to the vet - almost a year ago now - for a senior check up. Although the results were non-conclusive, I was told to monitor her weight and to report back as soon as she starts to lose weight. She stopped sneezing, her weight went up during the summer, and is now creeping back down to what it was last year. She is now sneezing again but only occasionally. I will not go back to the vet until lockdown is over but I believe hot, dry air is causing her to sneeze (with or without dust). Due to COVID 19, I am keeping windows open longer than I did a year ago, so perhaps more fresh air is helping her to stop sneezing. She is 14 years old, had her vaccinations and never had problems with cat flu even as a kitten.

I personally would not use Benadryl without speaking to a vet first.
We have pretty strict Covid protocol here still which is why I’m trying to hold off on going to the vet, I have to leave him alone in the lobby and I can’t go back with him or even in the building. I’m going to hold off on the Benadryl until I call the vet Monday. Thank you!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
About 6 weeks ago, Geoffrey was sneezing a ton.. he felt a bit warmish, but not feverish.

I did not know what was going on, as I did not change any products..
A really great member on here, asked if I was using Microban aerosol disinfectant.. I was. She said that it was a gut feeling this caused her cats to have URIs...

I stopped using the Micorban, Orange; and started using a humidifier. Geoffrey
s sneezing stopped immediately! In my opinion, It had to be the spray!

I was on the verge of starting an antihistamine--with Vet's approval..

Geoffrey does not sneeze anymore!

Wondering if you are using any new disinfectant products? Covid is causing us to use items we never used previously...

Good Luck!!

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About 6 weeks ago, Geoffrey was sneezing a ton.. he felt a bit warmish, but not feverish.

I did not know what was going on, as I did not change any products..
A really great member on here, asked if I was using Microban aerosol disinfectant.. I was. She said that it was a gut feeling this caused her cats to have URIs...

I stopped using the Micorban, Orange; and started using a humidifier. Geoffrey
s sneezing stopped immediately! In my opinion, It had to be the spray!

I was on the verge of starting an antihistamine--with Vet's approval..

Geoffrey does not sneeze anymore!

Wondering if you are using any new disinfectant products? Covid is causing us to use items we never used previously...

Good Luck!!
Thats what’s super weird and why I was just doing extra dusting/vacuuming, absolutely nothing is new. He seems to be better so far today, he only sneezed twice. He really seems to do it when he wakes up from napping. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats what’s super weird and why I was just doing extra dusting/vacuuming, absolutely nothing is new. He seems to be better so far today, he only sneezed twice. He really seems to do it when he wakes up from napping. Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Sorry, I was not much help.... but this was something I never even thought of. I even bought some of Dr Elseys Respiratory Relief Litter, thinking the litter was too dusty...
I have not used it; since, Geoffrey stopped sneezing the minute I washed my bedspread, his throws, of the Microban spray... This is when I realized his temp was probably a bit elevated, also.. It is hard for me to tell because my hands are always so cold.

I started using a humidifier.. it is small, so does not increase the humidity much, but it does help.. I can noticed the difference.

I wish you luck... I really do..

Just a question: are you dusting and using a polish? did they change ingredients? I like to dust, with polish, when I have the windows open.. even when I clean out the humidifiers, (vinegar or bleach), I have the windows open a crack, to circulate the air..

Do you have an air purifier, which needs to be cleaned? Just thinking of things... Things that I went through..

((((hugs)))))