Freezing Canned Food + Pumpkin Mix

MyrtleCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I feed my kitty NV Instinct Chicken canned food, drain the extra fat from the can, add a small amount of pumpkin, extra water, and a small amount of Connectin (joint support). I will be out of town for 8 days, and I'm trying to make it as easy on my kitty caretaker as possible (who comes over 2x a day), so I was thinking I would prepare a mixture for all of the meals in advance and freeze them, so she would just have to take them out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator the night before. Is there any risk of food spoilage in doing this? My kitty has a very sensitive stomach, hence the pumpkin, and she can make some spectacular messes (plus it takes her tummy a few days to recover). I don't want to risk getting her sick, but the food prep can be a hassle for an outside person.

Thanks for any tips!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I freeze canned food all the time for when I'm out for a long day. I'll just put out a frozen cube of food to defrost in my cats' bowls when I'm heading out the door.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, absolutely. Freeze away. Sounds like the perfect solution.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's fine. When I fed processed food, I used to buy the large more economical cans and freeze in ice cube trays.

Just a side-note on draining the fat/liquid from canned food. You may be draining off vitamins, supplements, nutrients which make the food "complete and balanced". Sorry...that's a bit off topic of your main question, but that caught my eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyrtleCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips everyone, super helpful! And thanks for the note on the liquid O&W, will keep that in mind.