Four-month-old Kittens Eating Too Much?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone! ...
However: Ares seems to reject chunky wet food (Royal Canin) and drools quite a bit and drops pieces of food while he eats the dry. He sometimes turns his head from side to side and drops bits of the fine wet food too. Any ideas? Teething, maybe? He purrs like crazy when he eats and is very high-energy.
I think around 4- to 4- 1/2 months or so is when kittens start teething. Adult teeth are usually in by 6-8 months, depending on the kitty. Some pain and gum inflammation is a bit normal during teething, but if they are ever not eating at all, it wouldn't hurt to bring them into the vet to check out the teeth and gums. I think it's also a good idea to have a dental check around 6-7 months to make sure all has gone well with getting their teeth in.

They are so cute! :heartshape: :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, so they are still eating, and at their appointment today, they had both gained a pound since three weeks ago.

But -- I really think that there's something going on with Ares' throat. He often makes these short little sounds halfway between squeaking rubber and a grunt while he's eating, and sometimes while he's grooming. He also turns his head to the side when he's trying to swallow and drops bits of food (fine wet food) while he does so.

He still purrs while eating and eats a lot, although he was reluctant today (but he had a traumatic vet visit -- not a fan of his final vaccine).

I did ask the vet tech about it, but she said to monitor it and make an appointment with the actual vet if I'm still concerned. Not sure when their next availability is, but I'm getting him neutered next Friday, and I'm a bit nervous about them putting him under when I'm not sure what's going on. The tech did say they could look at his throat when they intubate him.

Anyone heard of/experienced anything like this?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'd probably feel better to have it checked by the vet before the surgery. I've learned to always go with my gut on things like that. If it means delaying his neuter, there is no harm in that to ensure he is healthy.