Found very skinny 3days old kittens

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
So, three days ago there was this pregnant cat in labour in our neighbourhood. I put a cartoon box and clothes for her to nest.
Today I came to check on her, but what I found Is the abounded kittens, so skinny I knew they hadn't eaten anything since birth.

There were five of them, two died and three are struggling. I sent someone to buy me kitten formula but it's either unavailable or out of stock.

So in a desperate attempt I used my child's baby formula ( for newborn baby and lactose free).
I know human babies are different from kittens but it's what I can afford for now until I find the formulas.

Anyway, my question here is what should look after so the kittens don't get harmed by the milk. Also, what other tips can you give me?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi.
So, three days ago there was this pregnant cat in labour in our neighbourhood. I put a cartoon box and clothes for her to nest.
Today I came to check on her, but what I found Is the abounded kittens, so skinny I knew they hadn't eaten anything since birth.

There were five of them, two died and three are struggling. I sent someone to buy me kitten formula but it's either unavailable or out of stock.

So in a desperate attempt I used my child's baby formula ( for newborn baby and lactose free).
I know human babies are different from kittens but it's what I can afford for now until I find the formulas.

Anyway, my question here is what should look after so the kittens don't get harmed by the milk. Also, what other tips can you give me?
Human baby formula is OK to begin with... Best to dilute less, having it more concentrated, but its OK to start with yes. I even know an example where a woman gave her own breast milk, and thus saved the life on the kitten, till help arrived.

Goats milk is always useful if you can get it. Goats milk is even better than a shady kmr.
Raw cow milk should be OK, its common farmers save found kittens this way... Observe, RAW is probably OK, but bougth pasteurized cow milk isnt good.

If you have access to flavorless pedialyte, to can start with this too. They wont grow on it, but they will survive some time.
You can also use such a baby pedialyte to dilute the baby formula powder with.

IF you have glucose sugar, you can always give it to them... Either a droplet on the gum, or solved with water...
This work also on cold kittens, or kittens so weak their digestion has stopped...

In USA, where its difficult to get glucose sugar / dextrose, rescuers usually use white caro syrup or honey... Or even, a solution of common sugar...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: so I fed them baby formula for now, and plan to go look for gaot milk tomorrow.

But just now, I have fed the kittens and there is one cat that when I was stimulating him to urine it has pooped. I am not sure if this is normal since the other kittens didn't do so. The poop was runny annd a little yellow.
20230611_223322.jpg

Also, they seem to be cold even tho I put hot pad and a warm blanket for them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poo is OK even if not perfect. Toothpaste consistency is the desirable in small kittens.

Goats milk is good, but I suppose sheep milk should also go OK.

Good if you have a scale, so you can see the weight changes every day.
10+ grammes a day is good. If its much less you start to worry....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: they seem to grow a bit by gaot milk, so I am giving it to them regularly.

But one of them is suddenly so weak. It refuse to drink or move, just laying down. Vet said to give them some suger water, would that help?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, honey or sugar water on the gums.

Is it possible this kitten has aspirated milk into its lungs? If so, it will need antibiotics to fight pneumonia.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
samira samira yes, sugar water do usually perk them up some; very visibly if they got low blood sugar. That is common! it gives quick energhy too.

Best is if you do have real glucose sugar / dextrose, but in lack of this, most american rescuers use a droplet of white caro syrup on the gum, inside the lips...
It can be done again after a while.

If you dont have it, you CAN use common kitchen sugar... It doesnt need so much digestation...
Another source is pedialyte, it does contain some glucose sugar...

If the kitten perks up some and can swallow, you do continue with this sweetened water...
The kitten wont grow on this, but it will keep the life several days...

No quarantees, its the last line defence. If the kittens last hour has come, so it has come.
But if it was "just" an occasional crisis, this will help it through the crisis.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The amount of goats milk to give:
the rule of thumb is, 8 ml / 28 g a day.
So a kitten of say, 100 grammes, should get 30-32 ml of goats milk during the day... Say 10 feedings of 3ml each.

More is OK if the kitten wants it, but shouldnt be much less.
The amount will of course be bigger as they grow...
A good grow is 10+ grammes a day. If they grow much less, you do worry.