Found tiny breast lump. Lumpectomy a good choice?

Russianmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've recently taken in an older barn cat. Check out my last post for more details. She wound up having pyometra and we had her spayed asap. She's now a happy member of our indoor family, she's the sweetest and most gentle kitty you can imagine. Just a few days ago when petting her tummy, we noticed a lump in one of her breasts. Very mobile, and pea sized, at most. I did some research and the statistics on cat breast masses were pretty shocking, to say the least. Coupled with her being intact until recently, we got her to the vet ASAP. Surprisingly, the vet didn't seem incredibly concerned. It look her a while to find the lump, and she recommended either watching and waiting, or getting a lumpectomy. I asked whether having the breast chain removed would be a good idea, and she replied that it would be excessive at this point. It just seemed to contrast with all the topics I've read on here, where it seems like most vets immediately want to remove the chain when any sort of lump is found. We really love this cat and want her to have a long and happy life. Any thoughts?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know where it is and how large, I would monitor it for a while and see if it grows any larger. It could be just a fatty cyst or a swollen lymph gland since she had that infection earlier. Movable is good, cancer is usually hard and immovable. You might get a second opinion, telling them her history.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Russianmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depending on how recently she was spayed, it could be hormone based. Mammary hyperplasia is what it is called. Once the hormones settle ( if that is what the problem is) it will go down. I would watch for awhile.
It's been about 3 months since she was spayed. Is that recent enough?