Found orange long hair with little fur on head

Kitty Cats Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently I found a sweet orange kitty in a parking lot rubbing up against potential workers and thought that someone must’ve dumped the kitty cat .I went back and got it and was able to take it to a vet and get its rabies shot , tested for feline leukemia and FIV, flea treatment/ parasites. A skin scrape was performed and I am waiting on tests.

Purrs like crazy, it’s thin too with a bloated tummy. He has had a bath and I am keeping separated from my other pets until more test results come through . The cat seems so happy - very hungry. Possible hyperthyroidism? Honey Bun is his name now and he pees a bit.
Any thoughts?
3DCBA37B-5D44-4496-ADF8-335232AEF65C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait til results come back. It could be food allergies or something else. Was she tested for parasites or just treated? Thanks for saving her.she is adorable! Much happier to have some one to care for her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty Cats Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wait til results come back. It could be food allergies or something else. Was she tested for parasites or just treated? Thanks for saving her.she is adorable! Much happier to have some one to care for her
Thanks for the reply - tested for ringworm and got a steroid shot, and skin scrape . I just ordered some skin sensitive cat food so hopefully that will help if it’s a food allergy

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What were the results of the skin scraping? Did the vet tell you how old the kitty is? Is that the only area of hair loss?
The next time kitty is due for flea medication, I would use the original Revolution and reapply in two weeks. If your vet doesn't come up with anything, I would look for a dermatologist to figure it out. Do you notice the cat scratching at the ears and head?

With food allergy, you have to do a novel protein source like venison or rabbit. Something they have never had before. Then you have to feed it and only it for about 3 months to see results. I think there is a diet called HP that may work, but most cats won't eat it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful cat! Huge ears too, I bet he's going to be stunning when his fur grows back.

A bloated tummy suggest he could have worms, which is likely if he has been fending for himself and eating whatever he can find. Did your vet treat him for worms too? Ask your vet if it's safe to treat him for worms and fleas at the same time, some medications can treat both.

Hyperthyroidism can be diagnosed with a blood test, but just being super hungry doesn't mean he has anything like that. He's probably not had a decent meal in a while, so he's eating as much as he can now.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of him. Thank you so much for giving him a second chance.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently I found a sweet orange kitty in a parking lot rubbing up against potential workers and thought that someone must’ve dumped the kitty cat .I went back and got it and was able to take it to a vet and get its rabies shot , tested for feline leukemia and FIV, flea treatment/ parasites. A skin scrape was performed and I am waiting on tests.

Purrs like crazy, it’s thin too with a bloated tummy. He has had a bath and I am keeping separated from my other pets until more test results come through . The cat seems so happy - very hungry. Possible hyperthyroidism? Honey Bun is his name now and he pees a bit.
Any thoughts?View attachment 420061
So he's had cbc- complete blood count to check his kidney levels,etc. Make sure he has no trouble using the litter box. Hopefully he just needs food,nutritious