Found Newborn Kittens

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I need help on a situation.

My landlord found newborn kittens under his neighbors porch. The only reason he knows this is because his dog nearly killed them. The kittens have a mom. I’m not sure exactly how old they are. I know you are supposed to leave these kittens with their mother. Here are my problems.

My landlord wants nothing to do with trapping mom. He will only get the kittens to give to me. I would house mom and babies until old enough to all be spayed and neutered.

Ok, so in that case, you would think leave them. But if my landlord won’t trap one cat, I know he won’t wanna trap 4 more cats in four weeks when they’re weaned. I also worry about his dog getting at them!! So what should I do?? Should I take them without mom? Or leave them? And risk them getting hurt/ growing up and reproducing even more.

I know its bad to take kittens away from their mom but I almost feel it’s necessary in this situation.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you trap mom? Can the neighbor trap mom? ...with the thought of reuniting everyone...
Anyway, you're right, the dog means the kittens need to be taken in asap, if at all possible.
It will be a task, but worth it :)
Let us know what you decide to do, we have lots of informational help for taking care of the kittens.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the dogs are going to get them, yeah, keep them. Do try to get the mama cat too---if she's somewhat tame, you could try to entice her with food or by showing her babies, or you could rent a live trap and see if you can get her on your own. But if you can't, you can't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem is, my landlord doesn’t want to help trap the mom because of his dog, and the neighbor has no care in the world. About the kittens or the mom. They are just leaving them to grow up outside. My landlord said he will sneak and try to get the kittens but that’s all. Thank you for your help. I am also going to ask my local animal shelter their opinion since they would be the ones taking them once I got them. (They will NOT euthanize, I will foster them until they are of age to neuter!) it’s currently 11:30 at night so it’s not like I can do much right now anyway.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand, hang in there, and bless you for stepping up to help. Let us know if hopefully the shelter has some good thoughts. Just a thought, If the neighbor doesn't care, maybe s/he would allow someone from the shelter to trap them....I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

In any case, :vibes::crossfingers: :goodluck: