Found My Missing Cat But Ran Off From Me

TomIsMyName

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what to do. My 5 year old indoor cat went missing 2 days ago. It is his first time out. They usually say an indoor cat that gets out is close to home and hiding. Not my cat, i posted an ad on Facebook about him missing and low and behold some one called they found my Milo. He was about 6-8 blocks away from my house. I ran there as fast as i could, it was my cat but he wouldn't come near me. We had food and treats but nothing fazed him, it is like he saw something that has him very spooked. He eventually made a run for it and he ran right by me, I was so close to grabbing him. I don't know what to do. Should i keep looking where i saw him tonight or is he spooked for good and headed in a different direction. Its 1 in the morning and i put out 5 bowls of good in the area i saw him and where's he ran to, i was able to keep up with him for a block before he darted into so bushes. Im sitting in my car checking the bowls every 15 minutes, i don't know What to do.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not unusual for cats to go into panic mode when they are in an unfamiliar area. He probably didn't recognise you, he's too scared to think straight. He may have been chased by something, which is why he is so far from home. What he will do is hide until something spooks him, then take off again.

The best way to get him back is use a humane trap. You can rent these from shelters, TNR groups and vets or buy them at places like Tractor Supply.

As well as putting bait in the trap sprinkle some litter from his litter box or dust from your vacuum cleaner bag around the trap. Something that smells like home should get his attention.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Demi escaped he pretended he didn't know me because he didn't want to come in. But he couldn't resist his favorite kibble and I grabbed him while he was eating it. Does your cat have a favorite food that he just can't resist?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TomIsMyName

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im going back today to look for my cat where I saw him and put up flyers there as well. I put up flyers around my house but can't believe how far he went. It is about 6 blocks and a huge park. The problem with the humane trap is the fact he wasn't on my property. He was found in a community driveway shared by 30-40 houses. Last night I left food for him after I left, am I better off leaving none in hopes he gets hungry and tries finding his way home. Hopefully I have better luck today, at least I know he is alive and healthy

TomIsMyName

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update....he was spotted again, he was sleeping, i had food, treats, and cat nip...and as im approaching someone beeped their horn and it startled him. He took one look at me and darted off. The only brightside is while he several blocks away from my house, about .8 miles, he stayed on the same block we saw him on a couple nights ago

TomIsMyName

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hes going to run away when try to get him, the only thing i can think of is when he is spotted bring a humane trap and when i see him put food in and hopefully wait him out. Would throwing in some cat nip help. I was thinking of bringing his laser toy too, I'm at a loss, i just want my cat to come home :(

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least he is alive and seems well and staying fairly local. It does sound as if a trap is the answer. There are some threads on here that might help as they are used a lot for trapping ferals. Someone in that area might be feeding him, knock on a couple of doors, maybe there is someone that is keeping an eye on him that could catch him and take him indoors, then contact you to collect.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is he in the same area every time you see him? Cat's are creatures of habit, he'll probably stay there unless he gets driven off.

If he is someone's yard maybe you could knock on the door and get the homeowner's permission to leave some food for him?

I do TNR. We usually but the traps out just as it's getting dark and check them every 20 - 30 minutes. It's just a case of waiting the cat out.

Some cat nip, litter from his litter box, bedding that he has used, favourite food or treats, any of these would be a good way to get him interested in the trap.

Bring a blanket or something to cover the trap with. They tend to freak out when the door closes, but if the trap is covered and they can't see out they stay calm.

Once you have him don't open the trap until you are back home again. They can dart out much faster than you can close the door.

Good luck.