Found Lone Tabby Kitten: Six Weeks?

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just found a lone kitten. It was up a tall tree. I was able to get it down easily.

I must believe that this little one belonged to a child because it is so friendly.

My six adults are curious, but that is about it. There is some snarling. All six are fixed and they live outside.

If the new one sticks around, I will need to choose a name.

Congratulations! It's a...

20230528_173618.jpg

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was good of you to rescue this little guy.... I'm guessing a boy, too. If you really believe it had a human loved one, please ask around. It's possible there's a broken-hearted child in your neighborhood.

My experience has been that adult cats that live with other cats are usually pretty accepting of kittens. They may swat at the little one if he annoys them, but it will probably work out fine with time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I continue to believe that this was someone's kitten. We have no close neighbors and certainly no children.

Today is Monday. I heard a cat yelling on Saturday after dark. I ignored it because my cats were ignoring it.

Later, I realized that I should at least investigate, but the cat was gone.

I heard the yelling again in the afternoon on Sunday. He was twenty feet up in a tree. Cats of that age know only one way to come down from a tree. I was able to feed him from the ladder. He was hungry, hungry.

No scenario fits. I suppose someone dropped him off. If his mother is around, the two would have linked up. How did he survive all alone?

My cats all take literary names. This one will go by Heathcliff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new kitten is Heathcliff. He appears to be six weeks old. He is a walk-on.

Heathcliff lives on the front porch. I cage him at night because he is so very tiny. My six (fixed) adults look at him and then hiss and move away. Fortunately, no one has moved in for the attack.

I suppose this will work itself out? (I have already examined Heathcliff and there is no sign of for leprosy.)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Six weeks old is awfully young to be outside fending for himself. Kittens usually stay with their mothers until at least 12 weeks, often longer.

Could you bring him inside? Tiny kittens are vulnerable to predators, other cats and traffic as well as disease and parasites. Even though he looks healthy he probably has picked up worms while he was out there, so he'll need to be checked over by a vet.

He'll survive much longer with your help.