Found abandoned Ragdoll cat, left with a lot of questions!

lulu967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all the member of the forum,
A few days ago I found a very beautiful Ragdoll cat on the top of a wall. I called him and he did not show any signs of aggression, so I decided to grab the cat under my arms and see what can be done. A very important detail is that there was no sign of ownership, no collar, no scent, no leash. From these aspects I concluded Ragdoll might have been abandoned by a very rude individual.
At home he would not socialize with anyone in the room. He stayed in a hidden corner and hissed everytime he met our other cat, which, despite his aggressive demeanour, was more than happy to interact with Ragdoll.
Soon the Ragdoll started to vomit a yellow liquid, would not eat or drink. I thought it might not be a problem. He was very dirty and washed him, but he was very calm, maybe his real owner accustomed the cat to this procedure.
I found him at night, the other day the started yowling and vomitting, with diarheea. We forced him to eat, at first some Whiskas meat, which he immediately vomitted. Understanding his poor condition, we pulled a syringe and dropped some milk and water down his throat. Still very calm and responsive.
The next day he showed signs of lethargy. I must mention that he seemed to breathe very fast, I numbered around 50-60 breaths/minute.
We decided to get him to the vet, but, unfortunately, he soon died.
My question is, what could have happened? Was he abandoned due to very dangerous health condition or did he die as a matter of stress?
Can some cat owners give me advice if they were in similar situations and how the cat reacted? My experience with cats is very short, since I also adopted a cat from the street a week ago (she begged at my door). Was someone in a similar situation where the cat would die in such a short time even though there was no sign of bleed or stroke (I watched several videos on Youtube, but the cats were still able to eat).
I forgot to mention that I checked his gums pads and tongue, but they were not purple. A very nice pink color. I washed here and the limbs seemed a bit purple, but it migh have been my ilussion since the gums and pads were normal.
I would highly appreciate if someone could offer some piece of advice with regard to this topic since I feel guilty for not saving him...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lulu967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that he vomitted everything afterwards all night long. Could not take anything inside him. Diarheea was very proeminent and he relieved himself on one member of my family, showing sings of incontinency!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry this happened. But, there are so many things that could have been wrong, no one here is going to be able to tell you what was wrong with him. However, the first thing that came to my mind is that he was poisoned, either deliberately or through something he accidentally ate outside. And, if that were to be the case, the odds were not in your favor in terms of trying to save him. Again, so sorry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry that you experienced this and hope that the fact that you tried to help this cat is of some comfort. The cat understood that you were protecting and helping her, no matter what her condition.

This is probably not stress and certainly was not caused by anything you did. Whatever happened to this cat, she was quite far down some road, either poisoning as was mentioned, or a serious illness. If she were approaching the end, she certainly could have passed as quickly as you describe. You were there for her and that is what is important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lulu967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind comments. Must have been poisoning, i remember having lost some pieces of chocolate under the sofa which might have ended in his stomach. I hope he knows I only meant good for him. God bless everyone!

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats normally will not eat chocolate but many plants are poisonous to cats and they may nibble. Tulips are one example of that.
Sorry to hear about what happened.:(

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry that happened. Bless you for taking care of him. :hugs: