Found A Kitten

Rina rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this kitten around 6:30 todayI have no clue if it's a boy or girl or what to feed it I'm not sure if it's too young for soft food or hard food or if it should still be on formula I legitly don't even have anything for this cat I just grabbed it and brought it in the house so it wouldn't get sick I'm having my boyfriend went to the store to pick up a few things but what should I get

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping this kitty!

The kitten in your profile pic looks to be about 6-8 weeks old. It probably could handle some dry food but wet food would be better. Fancy Feast kitten food, turkey flavor, is my usual choice. And Purina ONE dry kitten food. You can also get a can of KMR and add that to the wet food for extra nutrition. It's good for younger kittens to get a little extra nutritional support, though probably not strictly necessary at this age.

You'll also need some non-clumping kitty litter and a small litter tray.

Do you think you'll be able to keep the kitty?

If you post a picture of kitty's backside, someone might be able to tell if it's a boy or a girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rina rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I will be keeping it son falling in love with it it really skittish tho so I just put some wet food down made lil bed for her hope it eats I'll keep you posted

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for helping this adorable kitten! You’ve gotten a lot of great advice already! I’d just like to add that, since your kitten is young and growing quickly, you can give them as much food as they would like, as long as they’re not the “scarf ‘n barf” type, in which case you would have to portion it out more carefully.

I would also advise you to take your kitten to the vet for a check-up, to make sure that there are no health concerns that need to be addressed (like intestinal parasites), and to schedule a spay (if your kitten is a girl) or neuter (if your kitten is a boy). A general guideline is that kittens can be fixed once they reach two months of age and weigh at least two pounds.

Your vet might also be able to start your kitten’s vaccine series (or at least schedule it for a later date). According to an article from the AAFP (I’ll attach a link- see table 2), FVRCP can be given as early as 6 weeks. They recommend waiting for at least 3 months of age for the rabies vaccination, but your vet will be the best person to ask about specifics.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

And, as Willowy mentioned, if you post a picture of your kitten’s behind (tail lifted up), we can help you figure out if your kitten is a boy or a girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rina rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't eating any soft food at all think she to young all she been doing crying I think it's looking for it's mom I've been up all night with her my boyfriend things she about 4 or 5 weeks

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is 4 to 5 weeks old she might be more inclined to a bottle or syringe with KMR. Kittens around that age are starting to eat solid food but tend to do better with either a bottle or very watery slurry (I make my slurry with wet kitten food mixed with KMR/goats milk). If you only have wet kitten food you can mix it with water but KMR is a better option, or goats milk. Another option is human meat baby food (No Onion or Garlic!) to water it down without losing nutrition if you can't find KMR or goats milk. Try feeding by putting some food on your finger if you don't have a bottle or syringe you can use.

You may also need to stimulate her still. That would be taking a lukewarm damp washcloth or papertowel and gently rubbing her butt. Very gently, you don't want to chaff her.

If you can share more photos we can take a guess at her age. The biggest thing regardless of her age is to make sure she is eating. Please do see a vet as soon as you can to make sure she is healthy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'll stick with my guess of around 8 weeks. Her ears are big and her tail is long so she's over 6 weeks. She does look a bit undernourished though.

Have you gotten her to eat anything? Sometimes if you take a little canned food on your finger and rub it in her mouth, she'll get the idea that she likes the flavor and will start eating. If it seems like she can't bite it, add enough water (or KMR if you have it) to make it soupy and maybe she can lap that up.