Fostering kittens after feline distemper incident

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello.
I worry that if I foster kittens they may be exposed to feline distemper. Too many kittens, two few fosters.
Background. I foster through a rescue group that does a lot of TNR. Got two, seven week old kittens about ten days ago. Long story short. After four days one kitten died and the other received palliative care and survived. These two kittens are from the same colony where at least three kitttens tested positive for pankeuk and died. The two kittens I fostered are presumed to also have been exposed to distemper.
How safe is it for any new kittens I foster—how soon can I foster again. I bleached the bathroom they were confined to. Assume that the mother cat has not been vaccinated. My resident are vaccinated and do not mix with kittens.
Thanks.
Cindy

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clean EVERYTHING you can think of. There are many cleaners out there, get one for killing viruses. Many say they kill the parvo virus with no harmful residue. Spray lysol on fabrics, etc. As long as they are vaccinated, (or have had distemper) the others should be fine. We had an outbreak amongst our outside ferals and it killed almost all that were under a year old, and some older cats too. We tried to save some of the kittens by getting them vaccinated but it was too late. All three of my current cats are from that outbreak and all 3 were older and survived, but not without lifelong complications such as lung damage. My housecats were vaccinated and came through fine. even after us handling all those sick kittens. The virus is a hard one to kill. a good one to talk to about your questions may be to ask your vet and where you get your foster kittens how THEY handle the virus in their workplace and what they use. Thank you so much for your dedication, you will be blessed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I volunteer at the spa/neuter clinic where the outbreak occurred (I clean traps and fold laundry, and get to cuddle with kittens). They clean everything daily with k-sol and maybe bleach. I can probably borrow k-sol. The kittens I fostered were kept in the master bathroom / walk in shower, although Lancelot (formerly Friendly Kitten) ventured briefly into the walk-in closet. Lancelot survived after and is being fostered by a third person. I was asked to foster Lancelot again but was hesitant if there were remaining live virus, and my resident cat was having an episode of anorexia (she is now fine).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for asking. Lancelot is thriving with the foster. The 14 day quarantine ended and I will be temporarily fostering four kittens whose foster mom is going out of town for Thanksgiving
77A5BE81-3430-4D79-81B5-EE869F0A935F.jpeg