Fostering after loss

myrlien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm considering fostering after losing my kitty recently, wondering if anyone went through this and has advice.

My kitty passed away a week ago, she was 22 years old and had been dealing with terminal illness for a long time. It hasn't been long and I miss her and am still going through her things, but in many ways I feel at peace. There is grief and loss too but it's not overwhelming me anymore. I can look at videos and photos with a smile even though its only been a week.

For fostering, it's something I was thinking of doing for a long time, after my kitty was gone. Due to travel plans I would have to either start now or start in half a year (trip would be just over a month long but dates to be confirmed, but I have to start either now-now or after). My vet had offered to give me a reference very recently, and as I don't have any other animals I won't see this vet again. So in this sense it would be better not to wait half a year before using the reference. Otherwise I would probably give myself a little more time to figure out my emotions, even though I feel kind of okay and peaceful, but I know grief can be weird.

I'm just wondering if I would be setting myself up for some hurt if I foster now. Like if I foster so soon after loss, I don't know how it will feel to have a new cat in my old cat's territory. Maybe okay if I can get into the mindframe that I'm helping this little critter, not replacing my friend. Maybe having them here to pour my love into would help me and not feel invasive. I don't know, has anyone done this?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think fostering can be kind of a great way to test how you might feel with a new cat. It is better than adopting, feeling traumatized, and then what? Are you looking to foster adult cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrlien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think fostering can be kind of a great way to test how you might feel with a new cat. It is better than adopting, feeling traumatized, and then what? Are you looking to foster adult cats?
Adults and seniors, but not palliative. I've never fostered before so I'd want to start with friendly/easy cats and maybe work my way up to ones that are recovering after surgery, have special needs, need a little extra help. I found a rescue that takes on a lot of these cases, my first cat would have fit right in.

Also I'm not in a position to adopt so that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of fostering, to keep some kitties in my life. I might be moving overseas within the next couple of years and it would be a very hard journey for a cat. I was putting off deciding while I still had my first cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless it is very short term, I would wait until your traveling plans are over. It would be way too stressful for a foster to be getting used to you and then be relocated. if you are thinking of moving overseas in just two years make sure you are getting short-term fosters. I think it is wonderful you are taking your cat's legacy and passing it on this way. Please keep in touch and let us follow your journey!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it sounds like a good idea! I think it's great that you are thinking ahead to a possible BIG move and don't want to put your own cat through that. Just always check with your shelter how long the time frame would be and be honest about any upcoming travel or conflicts. An adult who just needs a couple weeks to recover but is otherwise ready for adoption is great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrlien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unless it is very short term, I would wait until your traveling plans are over. It would be way too stressful for a foster to be getting used to you and then be relocated. if you are thinking of moving overseas in just two years make sure you are getting short-term fosters. I think it is wonderful you are taking your cat's legacy and passing it on this way. Please keep in touch and let us follow your journey!
I didn't even realize that long term fosters can be years... thought it would be a couple months, half year. Another thing to think about! Actually maybe they could use me for short term if another one of their foster parents goes on vacation or something around the holidays, and their foster needs to temporarily relocate. Assuming rescue doesn't cover catsitter costs.

I think it sounds like a good idea! I think it's great that you are thinking ahead to a possible BIG move and don't want to put your own cat through that. Just always check with your shelter how long the time frame would be and be honest about any upcoming travel or conflicts. An adult who just needs a couple weeks to recover but is otherwise ready for adoption is great!
Ok, maybe it's worth submitting the application and I'll just be honest about the travel plans. It may not happen until all the way in March, I won't really know until about December this year since I need to plan around my parents.

Thank you for your replies, I have some things to think about!

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At our rescue, fosters do not stay at the foster home long term unless they have "special needs" as you mentioned in your post. A typical friendly adult would probably be in foster 4-6 weeks or less. I suggest you check with your local rescues.