Fostering a mom and her 4 kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info that I have gotten from this site. My foster litter is ready to go on to their forever homes (hopefully) tomorrow and Saturday. The kittens are 10 weeks old tomorrow, were spayed or neutered on Tuesday as was their mom. 3 kittens are going tomorrow, and their mom and one brother are being adopted together by a coworker of my daughter and can't get them until Saturday. I'm a little concerned about how mom will be with just one baby..... I am thinking too much like a human I guess. I'm happy that she will have a short transition from 4 babies to one and won't have to spend the night at the shelter. She'll be here where she has called home for 13 weeks.I hope that visitors will see the 3 ginger babies and take each one of them home tomorrow ....

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is always the hard part. Are the 3 gingers going to an adoption event tomorrow?

Moms do miss their kittens, but they do adjust. Is mom particularly close to the male kitten who will stay with her?

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No event. Just going back to my local Humane Society. Anyone looking for kittens knows that Friday is the day for young kittens to be available. Surgery is always on Tuesday and they are available on Friday. Most often they are in their new home by that night. Sometimes Saturday. I always want to say, if no one chooses them can I take them back home for the night? It's hard to let go. I just have to say I did my part in giving them a start and they will be ok. Saffron (probably will be Alfred) will be staying with mom Ginger. All of her babies are close to her. She doesn't leave them alone. Always chirps to call them to her. Bathing, nursing....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will miss them initially for sure. And they will miss her and each other initially, but it's the way it goes.

I took in a pregnant stray two years ago who had 4 babies. I kept them all. I did not plan to, but I could not bear to choose who got to stay and who had to leave. I was in love with them all. Mama kitty is still very close with 3 of them, and in particular her only daughter.

You have the right perspective though - you've given them a great start in life!

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_3803.JPG
Thanks for the info that I have gotten from this site. My foster litter is ready to go on to their forever homes (hopefully) tomorrow and Saturday. The kittens are 10 weeks old tomorrow, were spayed or neutered on Tuesday as was their mom. 3 kittens are going tomorrow, and their mom and one brother are being adopted together by a coworker of my daughter and can't get them until Saturday. I'm a little concerned about how mom will be with just one baby..... I am thinking too much like a human I guess. I'm happy that she will have a short transition from 4 babies to one and won't have to spend the night at the shelter. She'll be here where she has called home for 13 weeks.I hope that visitors will see the 3 ginger babies and take each one of them home tomorrow ....

I have just gotten home from bringing my 3 fosters, Basil, Sage and Katelyn to the shelter. I am told that there a "a million people coming in for 3 kittens. And one prospective adopter would like 2". So I don't have to worry that they will be spending the night there. It will still be scary for them in a new home but not for long I'm sure. Mama Ginger and Saffron are ok. Mama was very nervous this morning when I was getting the carrier set up and collecting the 3. Under the bed she went. Tuesday's spaying was too fresh in her mind.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, I know it was difficult to hand them over. How is mama doing with just Saffron?

The others will be adopted quickly, I'm sure!

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems ok. Saffron is going to be bored. Maybe he can actually play with his feathers on the stick toys without 3 others sharing. I just heard from the shelter. All 3 babies have homes!! They opened at noon. All were spoken for by 12:10. Super. Still chokes me up though. Those are my babies too. The roller coaster of fostering does that to me. I feel so responsible when they have a dip in the road so to speak. Basil who I was so worried about at the end of February when he'd lost weight and wasn't himself which the day I had to be at the hospital with my husband, was 2-15 yesterday. On 2/27 he weighed 14.5 ounces after having just gotten to 1 pound. Crazy. Now a little time off. Till they call again. And I of course will say, "I'll be right in to pick them up"