Foster Cat Bullies Resident Cat

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm currently fostering a cat and intending to adopt him, but he keeps chasing and attacking my resident cat. My resident cat is afraid of him and will run away whenever he's on the hunt of her. My house is too small to do a proper introduction though. I only have one bedroom. I keep the new cat in a large cage when we head to sleep at night. During the morning time, they'll both roam the house and sleep at different places.

This new cat that I'm fostering is known to bully cats at the steet and will constantly gets into fight. I think he just can't stands the sight of another cat.

As much as my resident cat is afraid of him, she's still curious about him. She will sniff his butt when the new cat wasn't paying attention but it'll always ended up with the new cat hissing at my resident cat.

There's once whereby the new cat was sniffing my resident cat's tail but I was afraid that he'll bite her tail 😅

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think this is going to be really difficult. If you have one cat that already has a reputation for bullying and don't have space to do a proper introduction it's going to be impossible for these two to ever get along.

Maybe he's not the right cat for you. If you want to add another cat to the family it would be better to try a more placid, friendlier cat. It sounds as if your foster would be happier in a home where he was the only pet

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A
I think this is going to be really difficult. If you have one cat that already has a reputation for bullying and don't have space to do a proper introduction it's going to be impossible for these two to ever get along.

Maybe he's not the right cat for you. If you want to add another cat to the family it would be better to try a more placid, friendlier cat. It sounds as if your foster would be happier in a home where he was the only pet
Agree with your too that the cat will prefer to be in a house where he's the only pet. I'm trying to find him an adopter but nobody seems to be interested 😔

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A

Agree with your too that the cat will prefer to be in a house where he's the only pet. I'm trying to find him an adopter but nobody seems to be interested 😔
Keep at it. You can also try social media as well to get your fosters out there a bit more!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lighting a candle for JUST the right situation for him! His person is out there, wondering why they can't find the right cat.

00LitCandle.jpeg

mister obama

don daleiden at my house...
Young Cat
Purraise
A

I've been reading the comments on "bullies" I was shopping for a replacement cat for my lovable tabby a few years back, the volunteer showed me the visitors room with all the available cats living together in harmony. then he said "come look at this nice black male I have in back" well the black cat seemed very anxious to have a little attention, purring and climbing... turns out he was in back because he was a bully! chased my outside feral away, attacks any neighbor cat, I've come to accept him as an "only" cat. but I miss my old tabby that would socialize with any other cat. You're right nobody wants to adopt them, I was duped.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been reading the comments on "bullies" I was shopping for a replacement cat for my lovable tabby a few years back, the volunteer showed me the visitors room with all the available cats living together in harmony. then he said "come look at this nice black male I have in back" well the black cat seemed very anxious to have a little attention, purring and climbing... turns out he was in back because he was a bully! chased my outside feral away, attacks any neighbor cat, I've come to accept him as an "only" cat. but I miss my old tabby that would socialize with any other cat. You're right nobody wants to adopt them, I was duped.
On the other hand, you have a loving companion who may have either been euthanized or lived out his life in that cage. And I've seen cats TOTALLY change once out of a shelter setting, sometimes for bad, sometimes for good, but totally change. Even a cat seemingly happy in a social setting can change. I'm sure he was desperate for attention, and most thankful that you rescued him.