Formula To Dry Food Gruel Ratio For Weaning?

Qu9ke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still have around 3 weeks give or take before I need to start being concerned about weaning, but I want to stay ahead of the game. I know there are multiple ways to wean a cat, and that some decide to feed it just wet food and use wet food for weaning, but my plan for weaning is to mash up and mix wet dry food with formula (or goat’s milk if I choose to use that instead) to begin the weaning process onto solid foods. I have already chosen what I deemed to be a nice and healthy dry food for the kitten. The question remains is this… what part formula (or goat’s milk) to what part dry food should I start out on? I did experimenting personally recently and came to the conclusion that 1 part dry food and about 1.5 parts water yields an oatmeal like consistency, although it was still kinda runny because the food couldn’t quite absorb all the water (it was water for the sake of the experiment, but it will be formula when the time comes). I have read on PetMD that oatmeal is the consistency to shoot for which is sort of pasty thick (unless you like naturally runny oatmeal which is cool too), but I have read on a couple other different sites that the ratio to shoot for to start is 1 part dry food and 3 parts formula, but would that be TOO runny? If not then that’s totally cool, but that is why I wanted to ask because I didn’t know.

I am also unsure when to introduce a bowl of water. I guess when I introduce moist but whole dry food to get her to start eating them as they should be. That’s my guess anyways since that’s when I plan on start using less syringe/bottle feeding to supplement any nutrition I feel the kitten might be lacking.

Also to those who may remember my thread about my 5 day old kitten not pooping, she has been pooping pretty regularly since then. Things just sort of worked out, although I have goat's milk coming in case constipation becomes an issue, and the vet is on my mind as well should the need arise.

Thank you for the help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Qu9ke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I was considering as far as wer food is concerned to supplement her diet with a can a day or so, just keep in mind my funds are very limited so getting wet food to continuously feed her is kind of hard right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Qu9ke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not an expert in this but the article may be helpful, including the section on weaning;

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition
Hm. Interesting. Thank you! I didn’t see on that article if I should mix the dry food as whole pieces with water/formula or if I should mash them up into some paste. I’ll just have to wing some of this, but articles like what you showed does help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I remember when I was feeding kittens back in the day, having the consistency of mostly a mash will work, especially at first.